chapter 1- merry christmas indeed

"Merry Christmas, guys! I love you!" I looked at mama and smiled at her as she hugged dad from behind. I could never ask for more. "Zoe, come here! Let's take a picture." Naglakad ako patungo sa kung saan sila naroroon and I stayed between my two kuya's: Skye Amenadiel Ildefonso (20) and Zeke Jophiel Ildefonso (18). Zeke and I are twins.

"1,2,3... say cheese!"

Nang matapos na ang pictorial, pumunta ako sa kusina to grab some wine. But unfortunately, parang naubos na namin ang wine. Kanina pa kasin kami umiinom. 6 PM palang, dalawang bote na ang naubos namin.

"Mom, we're out of wine." I said in a lazy voice. Mom looked at me and grabbed her wallet. "Ito. Bumili kayo sa convenience store. Yung outside the village lang. Take Zeke with you, please." She said after giving me the money. I nodded tapos kinuha ko yung coat ko sa kwarto. I went inside Kuya Zeke's room and took his coat with me.

Nang pababa na ako sa hagdan, nakasalubong ko ang baby brother ko na si Lee Azrael Ildefonso (16). I know, rare names. Mom's ideas. "Lee, where's Zeke?" Lee is actually the shyest one among us. Like he's super quiet and super shy. He needs to be protected at all cost. Hindi siya dapat sumasabay kina Kuya kasi mga bad influence yon. He motioned outside the veranda. "Thanks!" Why on Earth is he there? Ang lamig kaya ngayon.

I followed the way to the Veranda and just as Lee said, he is here talking to someone on his phone.

"Alright. Take care. Goodnight and merry christmas again, boo."

Boo?! Is this the girl Kuya Skye's talking about? Gosh, this brat. Hindi pa talaga pinakikila sa family . "Ahem. Kuya."

"Aaa! Ano ba, zo. Don't gulat me like that." Sabi niya sabay arteng hawak sa dibdib niya.

"Ang arte mo! Conyo boy, let's go. Mom ordered to buy some wine and drinks. Kuya laughed. "Drinks ka diyan! Let's go."

He started walking outside and I remembered na hindi ko pa nabigay ang coat ko sa kanya. "Kuya!" Lumingon siya and I walked beside him. "Here's your coat. It's cold outside. Merry Christmas, Kuya. What did you buy for me?" And I giggled. "Akala ko genuine na eh. May pahabol pa pala." Tsaka siya sumimangot. Ang pabebe naman. "Eh joke lang! Totoo nga, merry christmas!"

Tumawa lang siya hanggang sa makarating kami sa sasakyan. He drove the car to the nearest convenience store. Kuya is a responsible driver. Super safe, unlike Kuya Skye na nakakanerbyus kapag nagdadrive. That's why I ride with Zeke to school.

Inside the store, there were lots of people. Some are waiting for their cup noodles to cook. Some are busy choosing between cornetto and magnum. Some are also patiently waiting in line. "Kuya, what should I get?"

He was on his phone again kaya siniko ko siya. "What?"

"I said, what should I get?" Sabi ko sabay kamot sa ulo ko. He looked at the ray of choices. He was eyeing them very carefully. After a full minute, he said "You know what? Pick whatever you like. I'm gonna go to the restroom muna."

Kita mo yan! Busy na talaga sa jinojowa niya. Char, ang oa naman. Kaya I just picked 3 bottles and waited at the counter.

I was busy scrolling down my twitter when the guy in front of me cursed. So I had to stop scrolling and see what's wrong. He's the one paying na pala. "Puta. Magkano yon?" He said to the lady in the counter.

"Six hundred forty-five pesos, sir." The lady answered. I was shocked nung lumingon ang lalake sa akin. "Hi. Pwedeng mangutang? Promise, babayaran kita." He was talking to me.

Mabilis kong kinapa yung pocket ko but the money wasn't there. San ko ba yun nalagay? My gosh, nandoon kay Kuya. Nabigay ko nga pala sa kanya. Kaya I looked to the guy and said my sorry, "Sorry pero I don't have my money, eh——" but he cut me off.

"Come on, stop lying! May hawak ka ngang tatlong bote tapos you're saying na wala kang pera?!" He's shouting at me. Is he drunk? I'm scared to death. When is Kuya coming back? He's still shouting and when he's about to hit me, a guy from my back grabbed his hand and pushed him away.

"Excuse me, sir. But please don't cause any commotion. If you left your wallet, then leave your order and fetch your wallet. Then, come back and pay for it. I see no reason for you to be hitting this woman. She did nothing wrong."

The drunk man rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue. Tapos lumabas na siya. I was scared shit, to be honest. Lumingon ako para tignan yung lalake na umawat kay drunk dude. Well, he's tall... and charming. Ang gwapo naman. "Yes?" He asked. Shit.

"Ah right. Uhm, thank you." I said in a quiet manner. "It's fine." He said and smiled. I smiled too. That's when someone walked in between me and the guy that saved me. "Ahem."

"Zeke! Where have you been?!" Tapos kinurot ko siya. "Aray! Why? What happened?" But I didn't want to worry him. Iba pa naman to si Kuya magalit. And it's christmas. And besides, it's been settled. I wasn't hurt. So I smiled at him and told him, "You're so bad! Na sayo pala ang pera. Tapos ako na sunod. Tsk, Kuya."

"Uy, sorry na." I just acted as if I was mad at him. "Don't tampo na, Zoe. I will buy you carbonara tomorrow." My eyes lit up, "Promise?" Kaya tumawa nalang siya. Zeke really knows my weakness: food.

Nagdrive na siya pabalik sa bahay.

•••

"Okay. Mommy and Daddy, you're up."

"Hm. First, to my big baby boy—Skye! This one's for you. You'll love that." Kuya smiled and kissed mom and dad.

Kuya Skye received a new pair of Nike shoes. He loved it. Zeke received a new laptop. He loved it too. Lee received a new phone. He broke his phone because it fell into the pool. It was Annie Haniel Ildefonso's fault. Annie Haniel Ildefonso (10), the youngest. My sister! Annie received a new set of sharpee pens. She obviously is a great calligraphist. And as for me, Zoe Sabriel Ildefonso (18), I received a new camera. They know I love taking photos. And I also received a new pack of fujifilm. So I got my instax and took a picture. I love pictures. They remind you of who you were before and who you've become.

2:14 AM. Every christmas, before opening our gifts, we share our highs and lows to our family. We share our happiest and saddest moments. We also share the things we are most thankful for. And every year, I have the same answer. I'm thankful to God for my family. Because they may be imperfect, but they're my perfectly imperfect person. I love my family.

________________________________
Author's Note: hello! this is my first book. i hope you like it po :))

twitter: jaiting_twt
instagram: janggteng
facebook: jai ting