🗡ONE🗡

The buzzing of the tattoo needle emphasized the gradually increasing ache on the back of Violet's shoulder, even though she wasn't the person being tattooed. The buzzing echoed across the otherwise silent studio. The dim lighting of the studio reflected out onto the darkened streets. It was only Violet and her last client of the week left in the studio. All the other artists went home at the usual clock out time. But Violet's client chose one of her more complex pieces and , instead of having to give him another appointment, she decided to stay and finish. 

Violet shifted in her stool, trying to work out the ache in her shoulder. It had begun when she started  her client's tattoo. It wasn't a normal ache like ones obtained from bending over all day however. It was progressively worsening. It felt familiar, though Violet couldn't place when or where she had felt this ache before. It was nagging at the back of her mind, but just out of her reach. Trying to figure out what it could be was almost as irritating as the ache itself.

Snapping out of her daydreams, Violet focused on her client once more. She had been tattooing for years on all kinds of clients; the screamers, the squirmers, the chatters. But this one was different. He didn't make a sound. Usually the made so,e type of noise, a repressed whimper of pain at least. But this one remained completely silent Violet couldn't even hear his breathing, That wasn't the only unusual thing about him. Not only did he stay silent, but he also remained completely still on the chair. No flinching, no fidgeting. Nothing. She could explain this if he had a high tolerance of pain or maybe this wasn't his first tattoo. But Violet couldn't see no other tattoo on his body apart from the one she was currently doing on the back of his shoulder blade. Violet found it odd. She was fidgeting more than he was 

"You doin' okay there? You wanna take a break?" She questioned him, more to break the silence than his actual benefit.

"No thank you. I'm good," his deep, gruff voice replied.

Violet got up anyway. The silence was driving her crazy. The pain in her shoulder was becoming worse. If it kept deteriorating at the pace it was, she wouldn't be able to complete this strange man's tattoo.

Violet walked over to the water dispenser in the reception area. She chugged the cold drink as if it was her last ever drink. Out of the corner of her eye, Violet saw the man staring at her intently, studying her every move. When she turned to face him once more, he merely stared at her for a few long moments before returning to his original position on the chair, remaining silent. 

Odd didn't begin to describe this man,  Violet thought to herself.