Book 2: Part 2

Gia pulled into the parking lot of the Amway Center and the girls got out of the car. "This place is nice," Astrid said as she looked at the building. "Yes, the glorious Amway Center. Home of the Orlando Magic," Gia said as she walked in front of her 2018 Honda Accord. 

The girls walked into the arena as the bright screens displayed the rolling text: Magic vs. Raptors. "I've heard the Raptors are a good team so this should be fun," Gia said as they walked through the metal detectors. They grabbed their purses from the belt and walked through the arena. "Should we get something to eat?" Astrid asked as she looked at the concession stand.

"I am feeling a bit peckish. Let's see what they have," she said. They looked at the options on the first level and decided against what they saw. They found a restaurant on the second level and helped themselves to some Cuban food. "This is so good," Astrid said as she ate the flavored rice. "They have so much of this kind of food out here. Any kind of food you can think of really. Cuban, Mexican, Thai. I've even seen some cool Mediterranean restaurants. Very diverse food choices. Yeah Tucson had that too but it tastes better out here for some reason," she chuckled. 

Astrid continued to eat as Gia told her about her life here in Orlando. She had found great work with great pay and a great boyfriend that she knew Astrid would approve of. They even arranged a day for them to meet over drinks.

The girls finished up their food and made their way down to the court side seats. The players on both teams were on the court warming up. Astrid and Gia sat down and made themselves comfortable in the padded seats. "Extra padding for my huge ass, I'm loving it!" Gia smiled. The player with his jersey numbered 00 had his back turned to the girls as he talked with a trainer. "Gordon?" Gia said to herself silently. "It can't be". 

When the player turned around, both girls looked in shock. They were only feet away from Astrid's ex-boyfriend, Aaron Gordon, who she had not seen since he told her he was declaring for the draft. He laughed as a ball was thrown to him and shot from the three point line.

"I had no idea," Gia quickly informed her friend. Astrid didn't say anything, instead she just looked at the man she had two very enjoyable semesters with. A man she had missed for so long even after she abruptly broke up with him. He walked towards the corner of the court that was closest to the girls and looked at them briefly before taking a closer look. Is that...? 

Astrid turned her head in the opposite direction and took a deep breath to regain her composure. "We can leave if you want," Gia said seeing how she was obviously affected by his presence. "I just need to sit for a moment," she said through breaths. Aaron kept looking at them as he dribbled the ball. He let the ball bounce at his feet as he stopped dribbling and walked towards them.

"He's coming this way," Gia said with urgency. Astrid turned her head and saw Aaron walking directly towards them. "Let's go to the bathroom," Gia said as she stood up and grabbed Astrid's arm, yanking her from her seat. Aaron opened his mouth to speak but they left before he could say anything. Gia and Astrid walked up the steps and out onto the main area. They searched for the ladies restroom and sought refuge in there once it was located.

Astrid fell into Gia's chest and took deep breaths. "I think I'm having an anxiety attack," she said. "Just take slow deep breaths," Gia said as she continued to hold her. Gia took the breaths with her so Astrid could synchronize with her and after a minute or so she did. Astrid freed herself from Gia's hug.

"I swear I had no idea he played for this team," Gia assured her. "That's why I asked you on the way here if you remembered because the team name started to sound familiar for all the wrong reasons. It didn't fully click until I saw his name on his jersey and then when he turned around, well it was too late to do anything," she said. "It's fine. I know you wouldn't intentionally do anything like this," Astrid said. 

"But jeez girl. It's been years and you act like this when you see him? What's that all about?" she quizzed. "A lot of unresolved feelings on my end. It was just a little overwhelming". Gia nodded with a soft smile. She remembers that declaration of love Astrid made before going up to his room and then her coming back in tears saying that she ended it. The only explanation Gia had gotten was when Astrid admitted why she broke up him while they watched the draft. Astrid never brought it up again and she and Darius knew better than to ask. 

"We should get back out there though," Astrid said once she was finally back to normal. "Are you sure you want to do that? I didn't pay for these tickets so I won't be mad if you just want to head back to your place," Gia appealed. "No. We're already here so we might as well enjoy the game". 

Astrid walked towards the door and Gia followed her. They walked back to their seats and Aaron was shooting corner threes. He debated whether or not to approach her. He didn't want Astrid to run off like she had before but there was a lot that needed to be said. There were still some unfinished business with her.

He stopped dribbling the ball and walked back over to them. "Gia," he said as Astrid looked away. "You look very different," he said taking in her appearance. "Different is good," she smiled trying to hide how uncomfortable this situation was for her. Aaron turned his attention to who he came over for. "Astrid," he said. She looked up as she moved her long, wispy bangs from her eyes. "I'll let you guys talk," Gia said as she got up. She walked back towards the steps but kept a close eye on the two of them. 

"It's been a minute," Aaron said. "Yeah. Five, almost six years," she said. "I can't talk long because I gotta warm up but wow," he said with a wide smile. "I really can't believe it's you". Astrid smiled nervously and said, "In the flesh". Aaron chuckled and looked at how much but also how little she changed from the last time he saw her. "Gordon!" the coach yelled. Aaron turned around and gave him a thumbs up. "Shit, I gotta go back but uhh, you have an Instagram?" he asked her. "Do you still have my number?" she asked him.

Slightly embarrassed to admit he kept it for so long he reluctantly said, "Yeah". Astrid nodded and gently smiled. "Just text me sometime".