in my head like a catchy song

NEW YORK, WINTER 1780

LAURENS'S POV

"Laurens?"

What rhymes with miles? Whiles? Files? Dials?

"John, where are you?"

I guess smiles rhymes, it's not the most creative rhyme, though.

"Laurens!"

Worthwhile? Mhmmm, not quite. Although I suppose I could just take some artistic liberties.

"JOHN!"

Although on the other hand--

My train of thought was derailed rather aggressively as Herc shook my shoulders, snapping me out of my thoughtful trance with a start of surprise. Herc let go with a laugh, sitting down next to me on the floor with his legs crossed.

"Welcome back to earth, John," he chuckled, "on what planet were you-- one where slavery is abolished forever and America is independent and prosperous?"

"That's not a different planet, that's just the future," I pointed out with a half-smirk.

"Oh, so you're a time-jumper too now?" Herc joked, and I shook my head with a laugh.

"No, unfortunately not. I'm needed in my time, I'm sure the future can handle itself."

"Philosophical, are we?" Herc raised an eyebrow curiously, "have you been writing poetry again?"

I wasn't sure why, but I could feel my cheeks heating up a bit as Herc hit home.

"Well, yeah," I muttered, "I have been sticking together a few lines, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"Well go on, let me hear it!" Herc clapped me on the back encouragingly, and I bit my lip.

"I'd... I'd rather not. It's... it's not done yet."

"That's never stopped you before," Herc remarked, "you're usually more than eager to force your semi-completed poems upon us-- what's so different this time?"

"It's... it's a little more personal," I admitted cautiously.

Herc raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"What's up with you? You've been acting like a recluse ever since--"

He cut off his sentence suddenly, freezing for a moment before grinning broadly.

"...ever since the Winter's Ball," he finished with a smirk, "you met someone, didn't you?"

"It's a ball, you tend to meet people," I answered dismissively.

"I mean someone special, freckles, and you know it."

I let out a soft sigh, well aware that there was no way I was going to get out of Herc's interrogation until I told him the truth.

"Yes, I met someone."

"Someone special?"

"Special doesn't half begin to describe her."

"Oooooo," Herc's grin seemed to widen even further, although I hadn't thought that to be possible, "what's her name? Is she richer than Maria? Is she hot?"

I shook my head, unable to suppress a wistful smile as I called to mind the only person I seemed to be able to remember clearly from the Winter's Ball-- the rest of the evening was a haze that seemed to drown in those few minutes I'd spent dancing with her.