Chapter 1 - First Meeting

Spirit of the Youth

Chapter 1

"First Meeting"

"Dejun-ah! Dejun-ah!" Qian Kun called out for his cousin's name as he searched for him in the Gardens of the Floral Palace.

His uncle, lordship of Frozen Peaks, had assigned Kun to look after his son, Young Lord Xiao Dejun, while they were away on a courtesy visit to the Blooming Fields. Kun had no problems with accepting the task. Knowing Dejun, the young lord was always such a good and polite boy. Although recently after getting to know some of the boys here in Blooming Fields, Dejun had gained a bit of a naughty streak, playing around the palace until dark.

Nightfall was nearing and his uncle had specifically instructed him not to allow Dejun to roam around the palace at night. Oh, if his uncle finds out Kun would surely be in big trouble.

"Dejun... Where are you?"

Young Lord Dejun giggled in mirth as he watched his Kun-ge frantically search for him. His large crystal blue eyes were glittering with delight, lips broken into a wide smile. He was hiding behind a peach rose bush in the West Wing Garden of the palace with the Young Master of Blooming Fields Na Jaemin and his cousin Liu Yangyang. They were playing a special kind of hide and seek where which the last one caught and found by the monster will be the winner. In this round, Kun was the monster.

Na Jaemin and Liu Yangyang were much better players than Dejun. He had no idea where the two might be hiding, after all the Floral Palace was absolutely huge and possibly full of secret hideouts that the two were more familiar of. He had considered using his spirit magic to find Na Jaemin and Liu Yangyang's soul energy, but his father had warned him about using his powers in such a way.

The important thing was Kun not finding him, and Dejun was in fact doing a good job because now, Kun was running towards the East Wing of the Floral Palace. Dejun let out another snicker when Kun had left, watching his cousin's retreating figure in a frantic mess. Once the coast was clear, Dejun stood up from his hiding place, patting off the leaves that had stuck to his white robes and fixing his ivory locks, braid already askew and messy from a whole afternoon of playing around in the gardens.

He was about to step out from his hiding place to search for Na Jaemin and Liu Yangyang when suddenly, Dejun hears rustling from the bushes behind him.

Dejun immediately turned toward the direction of the noise, instinctively grabbing for his lyre in a defensive stance, but he had left his instrument back in the study hall earlier that afternoon. The rustling grew louder making Dejun jump from his place. Whatever was behind those bushes was getting closer. And although Dejun wasn't completely defenseless, he still remained cautious. The West Wing Garden was located near the walls of the castle, so it was not impossible for a perpetrator to get inside.

"Uhnn...", Dejun hears a low groan. It sounded human, he thought.

He was a little braver when he stepped forward; trying to check what exactly was behind the bush. Even more pained groans and rustling could be heard, so Dejun decided to reveal the person behind the curious sounds. The Young Lord Xiao was ready to face whatever it was, but when he parted the bushes, he didn't expect to see a young boy groaning and clutching his body. He was obviously in severe pain.

Dejun quickly went to the aid of the young boy. "Are you okay?" he asked with concern.

The boy was sweating profusely; his red robes were tattered and covered in dirt. Dejun recognized the blood red robes and the dragon emblem that adorned his chest. Dejun was certain the injured intruder was surely from Dragon's Nest, under the rule of the Huang Clan.