the beginning

an excerpt:

"It's late," he sighed tiredly as I silently observed the little wisps of smoke that left his lips. "Go back to your room, Oceana."

He took a long drag of his pipe once again, not once turning to look me in the eyes. I was standing before a man, a man who commanded hundreds of people, a man who fought to kill, a man who looked so charmingly innocent standing under the moonlight.

I took in the way his hair curled ever so slightly at the tip of his brow bone, his endearing Cupid's bow that melted into soft plump lips, that signature burgundy coat that perfectly envelopes his hollow frame. I was silent, and he knew I was there. And then, I didn't know what came over me; I ran to his side, just like a naive little girl with no self-restraint.

He wasn't a hopeless romantic, he wasn't the man that would offer you flowers on a rainy day, and he wasn't the one that you're sure you would have a "forever" with. No, he was a man with secrets, a man who was hiding from something that I'll possibly never know, a man who had flaws that I'd never quite seen before.

But all I knew, in that moment, was that he was waiting for me. For the stars, for the seas, for me. And as I collided against his warm chest, soft velvet prickling my cheek, I knew there would never be a place quite like this.

A place quite like home.