Chapter 1

I watched her from afar. Her brown hair, a flowing mass of tangled strands, shinning a deep red in the light of the street lamp. Her small body shivering in the cold and her eyes; set alight with anger and pain.

"I don't want anything to do with you! So just ... just leave me alone"

"But ... please ... I thought we were friends" she mumbled, tears shinning in her eyes as her friend continued screaming. "Why would anyone want to be friends with you? You're stupid and annoying and useless and... and. A nobody!" and with that her friend was gone, driving away into the distance, leaving her alone.

At first she just stood there, her hair still shinning, the fire in her eyes dampened by tears and then as if all the energy drained out of her she slumped to the ground her soft sobs filling the air.

It was an impulse, if not slight stupidity, that made me go over. To want to help her. She didn't notice as I crossed the street or as I stood over her trying to help. "Um... hey ... excuse me ... do you need any help?"

She wasn't as surprised as she should have been to have a stranger talk to her on the street and as she looked up at me I suddenly felt much less confident with her eyes staring at me. Giant burning blue orbs assessing me every move.

"Did you see it?" Her voice was clear and strong seemingly unaffected by the tears.

"Um yeah ... I'm sorry but it was just, well it was kinda hard to ignore"

"Yeah, bet we were quite a sight, huh" She laughed a fake laugh with dying eyes and more tears threatening to spill. I could only nod in response. She was a sight. Beautiful and graceful yet broken and cracked like early morning sun rays shining through a cracked window.

"Do you know the way to Friendly street, cause I don't know the way home and obviously my ... friend isn't gonna help" She said quietly, almost as if embarrassed to need help from a complete stranger.

"Sure I know the way but it's a long way and its dark" I said scratching the back of my neck "I could, I mean if you want I can walk you"

She sighed and stood, pushing some faintly red strands of hair out of her face only to let them fall back again "Why not, what have I got to lose?"