Chapter 15

15

Raye was sitting on the top of the complex, she had watched Robin walk into the building. If she had human nerves, they would have been stretched as tight as piano wires. Robin was not part of the plan, but the cold nature of her processor was already thinking of him as collateral damage in many ways. Inside her head, trapped in what seemed like a cell, Reagan was fuming with anger at Raye's thoughts and the way she perceived Robin. He had been nothing but kind to them, and this cold machine was ready to just let him die. She raged against the force that had shut her away in here, beating at the invisible walls with her thoughts and her mind as hard as she could.

"Go ahead and exhaust yourself, it will make absorbing you so much easier." Raye hissed lightly into the open air.

That's what you think, Raye. Reagan answered back, continuing her attack on the darkness. If you rage makes you stronger, then so does mine. A new thought started to occur to Raegan, but she tucked it back towards the back of her own consciousness to keep Raye from hearing it.

"Don't worry, soon it will be done. Then we can move on to other tasks." Raye said, watching the screen in her hands intently. "Here, I'll even let you watch the show as well." She opened her eyes wide and Reagan was able to see a window in the darkness open to show her what Raye was seeing in her hands on the screen. It was Robin, he had entered the room to see Jamie. Artemis walked towards him and gestured for him to come around to another chair, but Robin just waved him off and walked towards the back of the chair where Jamie's legs dangled from the side.

"You could at least face me, you know." Robin said in a hard tone. Jamie stiffened but started to sit up in his chair and turned to look at his brother.

"But it's taken you this long to even come to see me, dear brother," Jamie answered tartly, "so I think that makes you the rude one here." Jamie pulled himself up in the chair more and sat down the book he had been reading.

"Isn't reading Dostoyevsky a little too on the nose, Jamie?" Robin asked as he watched Jamie put the book down.

"Well I enjoy the back and forth with Rodion, though I haven't been so unsure of a thing since I was young and taken advantage of myself." Jamie chuckled, gesturing towards Artemis. "Art, please get Lord Robin a drink."

"No thank you, I won't be here long Jamie." Robin said, waving his hand.

"Too busy to even see me? Has the wife been keeping you up at nights? You look so tired." Jamie quipped, slouching a bit more into the chair as Artemis moved towards the drink tray on a table in the corner.

"Evangeline is well, thank you for your concern." Robin said coldly. "You'll be happy to know that she is going to make you an uncle in five more months." Robin had debated telling Jamie, but something inside of him knew that this was the last time they would speak, so he wanted all the cards on the table.

"I'm so lucky to have such a family." Jamie smiled sardonically.

"Which is why I am here," Robin had decided to come to the point instead of banter with his brother, "this shall be the last time I come here, and we won't be seeing one another again."