Darkness Falls

Panic and confusion set in. I jerked the door open.

"What the hell are you doing here?? How the hell did you get past the security guard?" My anger surprised me. The adrenaline had replaced fright with it.

"Whoa whoa. Let me explain," he said, pushing his hands downward in an attempt to calm me.

"I'm sorry. I'm not trying to invade your space. The security guard let me up. I hate to say it, but security usually lets me by them. Star power, I guess?" He said with a nervous shrug. Damn you, Lorenzo. So much for protection. Still, what was he doing here?

Now that I'd calmed down, I finally got a look at him. He towered over me and was dripping wet. His shirt clung to his body, showing every curve and bulge. He looked down at me with his dark eyes and full lips. I would kill to be a fly on the wall of his mind. What was he thinking?

He pulled a bag from behind him. "I'm not trying to insert myself into your business or anything," he said, slightly abashed. "I figured you were hungry and thought to bring dinner to you."

My jaw practically dropped to the floor. I was at a loss for words.

"Chris...thank you. You didn't have to do that for me. I'm fine. I'm just so, taken aback, you know?" I gave him a confused look.

"Here's your ZhaZha. Spider rolls. You'll love them." He looked into my eyes and then let his eyes fall to the floor. There was a vulnerability there that I had never seen from him before. I slowly took the bag from him.

"Thank you," I said quietly.

I walked back toward my office and motioned for him to follow me. He sat down in the chair across from my desk. The thunder rumbled in the distance. I looked outside, and it was pouring even more.

"Beautiful," he said, looking out the window.

"The view is impressive from here," he looked at me.

"How's your work coming along?" He asked, apologetically. I plopped down in my chair and sighed. "It's coming."

I refreshed my computer again — no message from Jarees. My blood started to boil. Before I could curse the screen, a whiff of food caught in my nostrils. The sushi smelled terrific. My stomach growled.

"This smells like heaven."

"Well then, it's deserved."

Okay, he is going to need to stop flirting with me. I swear he could see my discomfort and relished in it.

"Chris, this is very nice of you. You didn't have to come down here though - let alone scare me half to death - I mean, it's the storm of the century outside. I don't want you to, to extend yourself like that for me."

"I'm sorry," he said jokingly, "all I heard was you calling me Chris." The corner of his mouth lifted in a grin and leaned forward in his chair toward me.

"I'm glad to know we have pushed aside the formalities and can finally get to know each other better," he said.

I opened my mouth to speak and caught myself. I fought the feeling of protest. This fool was acting like he could read my mind.

But damn. He clearly could.

The lightning flickered in the distance, and we were at a standstill. I sat at my desk, and he directly across from me — so many words between us and so much unspoken understanding.

"Look. Mr. Brown - Chris - either works for me. I don't know what this is...I really enjoy working with you. And even getting to know you better. I want there to be an understanding that this," I motioned from him to me, "is a very platonic relationship." I tried my best to be convincing. Not only to him but to myself as well.

The flickering light from the storm both illuminated and cast a shadow over his handsome face. I felt my spine tingle as he watched me.

He leaned forward. His face was mere inches from mine. I straightened in my chair.

"Are you sure that's what you want?" He asked, his eyes searching mine.

I opened my mouth to respond, and suddenly everything went black.