XXXV: The Nine-Headed Serpent

Fuego's Point of View

A long silence prevailed when Miss Fatima revealed that her cousin is the mastermind of everything that happened today. It took us a couple of minutes to recover from the news. As far as I can remember, her cousin, Carlo, was favored by the god Hephaestus for his love for invention.

Pero ang sabi ni Miss Fatima, ang pangunahing dahilan ng kaguluhan sa siyudad ay ang paglaganap ng superiority complex among the city people.

I was about to ask her when her nod greeted me. Tila ba'y kaagad niyang nakuha ang gusto kong itanong.

"Namatay ang nakababata niyang kapatid." Nagulat ako sa sinabi niya. "Dahil sa rason na 'yan. Carlo wanted to avenge her sister by killing all the people who was only favored because of their love for inventions. He believes that everyone are the same."

Napabuntonghininga ako nang malalim sa sunod na sinabi ni Miss Fatima.

Hatred drives people to the edge that they might regret at the end. Carlo was right to be mad because of the love he felt for his sister. Anger is undeniably part of the experience of grief.

But in Carlo's case, gusto niyang maghiganti. Not only with the person who murdered his sister, but to those people who wronged her and everyone who had the same situation as her.

Nkri and Blaze would agree with me that revenge only provides a short-lived satisfaction.

Hindi nito napupunan ang mga naranasan natin. In fact, mas lalo lang nito pahabain ang pagtitiis sa sakit na nararamdaman.

I was about to say something when a deafening roar of a gigantic monster echoed all throughout the borders of the city.

Napatigil ang lahat sa ginagawa. My eyes gradually grew wider at the sight of the monster. Katulad sa mga kasama ko, umawang din ang bibig ko.

Out of the corner of my eyes, Dion's lips were trembling. And Seilo's face was filled with fear. Erin was looking at the monster with determination. The two, on the other hand, remained straight-faced. Tila ba'y hindi na ito bago sa kanila.

The nine-headed monster once again roared, causing my attention to drift back to him.

"Hydra . . ." ang aking banggit.

In an instant, nagtumbahan kaagad ang mga gusali sa biglaang pagtama ng buntot ng halimaw. The vicinity was then enveloped with the people's cries. Erin never hesitated to flapped her wings, and Seilo disappeared leaving a whoosh sound. Sumunod kaagad sina Yumi at Aresa sa dalawa.

The Lernaean Hydra was born to Typhon and Echidna.

While not the most powerful of its siblings, the Hydra was a fearsome and vicious monster with nine heads at birth.

As far as I can remember―I could be wrong since I am not an offspring of Athena who had a photographic memory―the monster terrorized the Kingdom of Lerna, chasing all of the inhabitants away with the toxic acid and fumes that it spewed at them and killing livestock.

"Fuego, I believe you can handle that monster?" Napalingon ako kay Miss Fatima.

I nodded as a response. Tumingin ako kay Dion. With a single nod at him, he immediately understood what I am implying.

The moment Miss Fatima left, he followed.

Dion fitted for that job. And if I asked the two, I am pretty certain that they won't listen to me.

Me, on the other hand, never think twice to face my palm unto the ground. And manipulated fire with a single attempt. When I burst the flame, it slowly lifted my body into the air.