II - Wine is Red, Blood is Red

***HAPPY NEW YEAR! Yes, I changed chapter II. I felt this was better. Long story short, I had an ipad I wrote all the chapters of all my stories in and said ipad suddenly locked me out, which forced me to reformat it. And nope, none were recovered. I digress. Here's to a more productive writing year! I am endlessly grateful for all the love you continue to give. I missed you guys! I have been coerced to finish this first. Double chapter update for 2023! 

Eleven Years Prior

Cool blue. Her eyes were cool blue.

They reminded me of the weeks I spent in Mykonos cradled in tranquility. Heirs to criminal empires need vacations too. Or spend as much of our time in freedom before being strapped by obligation.

That was the first thing I noticed. The second, she smiled a lot. I'm a sucker for those. Too bad the date was a dud and we both know it. The romance in the air did nothing to permeate the utter lack of chemistry I thought we initially had. Not the graceful tune of the grand piano, the dim glow of the chandeliers and the delicate candle between us.

There was no spark whatsoever that I was convinced there'd been a blackout somewhere in my body.

I didn't want to find out if physics could save us.

It would be meaningless anyway. It's the only thing I'd allow myself to have.

I couldn't have anything more. Not with the Pinstripe casting a shadow on a future that already looked bleak. Running would have been futile against the inevitable.

I leaned back in my seat while Alice escaped to the bathroom. I had no doubt she'd be calling one of her friends, telling them what we both knew. She might be asking for advice on how to end it early.

I wouldn't blame her. I was already beckoning a server and sending my card back with him the next.

Movement caught my attention as the hostess led a new guest to a table in front of mine. My eyes zeroed in on the woman taking a seat. I understood why there'd been a candle in the middle of the table. That thing was meant to only illuminate her face, a beacon for my attention. A burden weighed on her brows and dimmed her green eyes but she smiled when she talked to the hostess. By the movement of her full lips, I could read the words "thank you."

On a date. I was on a date.

I averted my eyes and focused on the empty seat in front of me. But looking at her was like gravity. Regardless of whichever way I tumbled, I was righted and by the next second, I was back to staring at her.

The pull of temptation was strong and spell of curiosity was messing with my head, and I didn't have it in me to fight it. I grabbed my glass of wine and swallowed what was left of it, refilled it and finished that one off too. I needed it to dull the guilt. I'd never been known to have impeccable manners under stress but I never cheat.

Never.

While Alice was away, I indulged. I promised myself the second she came back, my vision would be hers and hers alone.

She came back as I was tucking my card back in its slot in my wallet. Receipt on the table, which stalled what I assumed was determination to ditch on her end.

By the look on her face, I could tell I'd been right and before she could say anything, I knew she was lying.

"There's a family emergency. I have to go," she said it with eyes that were everywhere but on my general vicinity. That was until she heard my reply.

"I've got the bill handled. I'll walk you out."

Without another word – and as if I didn't notice her surprise, I stood. I cast a quick glance at our neighbor, stomach tightening in knots when I found an ID badge by her hand on the table. Her ID badge issued by the New York City Police Academy.