Chapter Four of Mizuku: Welcome, One and All!

What a state to be seen in, a prince a blood covered mess on the floor of a prison cell, marking on the floor with a chipped rock, playing tic-tac-toe with your one friend.

"When do you think it'll start...?"

Asks Kōkei Daito, a tall, tough, and tanky man with destructive power and fiery-red hair and eyes; my one ally in this damned cell.

I'm Mizuku Senka, a 20 year old prince belonging to the Water Nation, one of the 6 Nations. We've been captured by a powerful man from the Dark Nation, Kane.

Kane is a demon who likes to toy with his prey; torture them until they die. As it stands, he gave us a week before he will hold a tournament in which we will have to fight each other to the death or offstage... If I'm honest, I'm afraid.

"Probably very soon, if I had a guess. I already know who I'll be against..."

"Huh? A bracket or something?"

Asks Kōkei, standing up and looking at a page I hold.

"You seem to be up against Koyaku..."

I huff as I say that.

"They did that on purpose, I'm sure."

"Please, Kōkei. Please don't kill her. Ring her out, if anything."

"Okay. You have my word."

I can't help but notice his eyes travel to Freesia's name frequently.

"WAKEY WAKEY, BREAKFAST TIME!"

I hear shouts from the guards, as they come in and throw some food under the solid cage.

"Eat up, it's game day!"

They laugh maniacally as they walk off towards the next.

We sit silently and eat, and then put on our combat clothing. It's time for the tournament to begin.

[...]

From the dark sides of the arena emerged fighters from all of Heikoto, ones I knew well and ones I'd never seen before. A large arena stood in the centre, as the lot of us met in the middle and looked up to a balcony in which a cloaked man and Kane.

He has a wide grin on his face, as the majority of us meet it with cold glares. He starts, as Dark Nation soldiers flood to the stands to watch.

"Welcome, one and all to the... hmm, what do I call it... oh, I know! The Tournament of the Damned!"

We don't wince at it at all as I feel the pent up anger of the others build. One, however remains completely calm... how strange.

"As you can see, there are sixteen powerful warriors- the only who have been able to resist our takeover- have been gathered here today to compete for your lord! Give him a round of applause!"

The crowd erupts with suck-ups and demons alike. Dakuno's shouts silence this.

"WHY GATHER JUST US AND NOT SOME OTHER RANDOM FIGHTERS, HUH?"

Kane snickers and looks down at him.

"The King's child, are you? Why, I'll-"

With an eye, their King silences Kane.

"Kane."

"Right, my sincere apologies. Well, we've gathered all of YOU lot specifically because it would not be entertaining otherwise for our lord!"

Dakuno's anger overtakes all of ours.

"I'LL JUST HAVE TO WIN AND THEN KILL YOU, THEN THE KING ON TOP OF IT!"

He now has a grin that overtakes Kane's. It injects me with confidence.

"Hahaha, then allow the games to begin, shall we?!"

The cheers erupt as I am warped to the stands, and two contenders stay within the ring.

It appears to be...

 Yusei Mitsuna vs

Yusei Mitsuna vs. Dan Elaveia!

As I suddenly look around frantically, I can feel the tension build. Two people have to fight against their will in a sick game of entertainment... horrible.

"How do you think they'll fair?"

Says a white-haired girl with blue eyes and a golden staff sitting next to me. She is branded with a curse mark on her wrist like the other contenders.

"I don't know the guy with black hair down there, so I can't say."

"So you know the one with white hair?"

She says, concerned.

"Why the concern? Yusei is one of the Water Nation's strongest fighters."

"That man is Dan Elaveia. He has lived his life alone on his father's manor and swore himself to the goddess Athena. His will is unbreakable, and his skill is undeniable; it is called Pure Radiance of Blessing."

I watch his calm eyes stare at Yusei's with respect. I can tell what she says is true.

"My name is Eirika Volathea. I'm his closest friend and his combat partner."

She puts out a hand to shake. I reciprocate and introduce myself in a princely manner.

"I'm Mizuku Senka, the youngest Water Nation prince. I assume you're both of a noble family?"

"Indeed-"

As she tries to answer, I feel a warm, lonely, blonde girl jump on me and cry loudly. It's Koyaku.

"Waaaah, I missed you so much...! Don't leave me like that again!"

Her eyes are a lovely blue, and they look so tired. It hurts to meet them, but I love her, so I can't do anything else but to comfort her.

She sits next to me and we look out to the arena.

Kane shouts out,

"LET'S GET IT ROLLING, SHALL WE?! THREE!"

The Dark Nation crowd,

"TWO!"

Kane and the crowd both,

"ONE!"

The two on stage ready themselves for impact.

"FIGHT!"