First

Lea's

One of the things that has been weighing on my mind since I decided to come back to the Philippines to make up for lost time with my child is how I will face my child whom I left fifteen years ago. How can I explain to her that I wasn't ready to be a mother when she came into my life? It's been a long time and I'm not sure how she will receive me, but I'm willing to face the consequences of my actions and try to make things right. I just hope that my child can find it in her heart to forgive me and that we can have a chance to build a relationship together.

"Lea, are you sure you'll be staying at your house when we return to the Philippines?" Vice spoke, interrupting my thoughts.

"Vice, I don't want to waste any more time. It's been fifteen years since I left my child, and I want to make up for it." I replied.

"I understand that, but aren't you surprising your child with all these sudden changes? You yourself said that you haven't been with her for fifteen years, so it's not like they're used to having you around. And let me tell you, I've seen your child, Lea, nako sinasabi ko sayo may attitude." Vice warned.

"Well, at least hindi ka magtatakang anak ko siya." I retorted.

Sarah's

As I went down the stairs, I saw that Manang and some strangers were doing a thorough cleaning of the entire house. I approached Manang to ask what was going on.

"Manang, what's happening?" I asked.

"Oh, Sarah, uuwi ang mommy mo ngayon. Kagabi lang nagpasabi na uuwi siya." she replied.

"My mom? Do I even have one?" I wondered aloud.

"Ikaw talagang bata ka, kahit anong mangyari nanay mo pa din siya," Manang said.

"Okay, whatever you say, Manang. I'll just go back to my room," I said, feeling frustrated.

"Osiya, sige na at maalikabok na dito," Manang replied.

I went back to my room and locked the door. Why did my mother have to come back now and make a mess of my life? I didn't need her anymore, and I couldn't understand why she decided to show up after all these years.

Lea's

After twelve hours of travel, I finally breathed in the air of the Philippines.

"I'm finally home," I thought to myself.

"Viceral, let's go. Manong must be waiting for us," I said to my friend.

"Oh my God, Lea girl. nakakamiss din pala ang hangin sa Pilipinas, ang hanging nakakasama sa lungs," Vice said.

"Haha, you're such a clown. Let's go before Manong gets impatient," I replied.

We finally arrived at my house, where Vice would stay since his house was still under renovation. I didn't want him to stay in a hotel when we have plenty of rooms here.

"Manang, I missed you so much. It's been too long," I greeted our housekeeper.

"Namiss din kitang bata ka. At sino naman itong gwapong kasama mo?" Manang asked.

"Hello, I'm Vice. Kaibigan po ako ni Lea," Vice introduced himself.

"Nice to meet you din, iho. Tara na, naghanda ako ng makakain niyo," Manang said.

As we walked inside the house, Vice whispered to me, "Hey, Lea. Hindi ba napansin ni Manang na barbie ako? At tinawag niya akong 'iho'!"

"Gaga ka talaga. Just be quiet and enjoy the food," I replied.

"Ahem, Manang, where is Asher?" I asked.

Before Manang could answer, someone spoke from behind us.

"Why are you looking for someone who doesn't want to see you?" Sarah, my daughter, said coldly.

Oh God, I haven't seen my daughter in fifteen years, and now she's standing right in front of me.

"I told you, she's got a bad attitude," Vice whispered to me.

"I don't have a bad attitude. It's just my way of dealing with people I don't like," Sarah said.

"Sarah," Manang called out to her.

"What, Manang? It's true that I don't like her. Isn't that how you treat me?" Sarah asked me. I couldn't look into her eyes because they were so cold.

Before I could answer, she walked away and went straight to her room.

"Please forgive her, Lea. She's just adjusting to having you around again. She'll get used to it soon enough," Manang said.

"I hope so, Manang," I said with a heavy heart.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~