Chapter 22

~Chapter 22~

"Before I get to Belle, there's some background you should know," I began, my hands shaking slightly but I ignored my nerves, focusing on Axel's encouraging look instead. "Well, as you know, I was dating this guy, River Daniels — Satan in an angel's mask I tell you. What I didn't say is how bad he actually was or what he, me as well I suppose, were involved in.

"River was part of a gang, not the guy in charge but he was pretty high up. We'd been dating for about five months or so when I got involved with all of it and to this day I just wish I hadn't gone to the corner shop that night..."

~*~*~

"Zack! Did you finish ALL the ice cream?!" I shouted to my brother, who was upstairs, from the freezer, trying to locate the creamy deliciousness I'd bought only two days ago.

"Maybe..." he called back and I groaned, slamming the freezer shut.

It looked like I was going to have to buy more. Urgh.

It wasn't long before I was outside, walking to the overpriced corner shop that was about ten minutes from my house on foot. Luckily, it wasn't hard to leave past curfew, seeing as mother wasn't home — nothing new there — dad was busy in his office and Anna, our nanny, was too busy dealing with the triplets to notice me.

I didn't mind walks at night, it felt quite freeing honestly but I was, however, annoyed at the decision I'd made to not wear a coat. I clung to the thin jacket I'd chosen to wear instead, cursing it in my mind. I really was stupid sometimes.

To pass the time and hopefully distract myself from the cold, I pulled my phone from my pocket to see a message from my boyfriend, River. I smiled despite myself as I replied, unable to wipe the stupid grin off my face at his message.

That boy had somehow managed to beguile me and I wasn't complaining. He was the perfect guy in every sense of the word and made me feel like a princess all the time; I couldn't have asked for anything better.

After replying to him, I messaged my best friend, Belle, telling her about Zack and how annoying he was for stealing my ice cream — the nerve.

I decided to slip on my headphones — luckily I hadn't forgotten those — and listen to music for the rest of my unplanned walk, humming silently to the songs ringing in my ears.

It wasn't until I was just a few minutes from my destination that my phone started to buzz and vibrate, the music cutting off; River was calling me. There were butterflies in my stomach as I answered the call; I always felt so giddy around him. "Hey."

"Hey, baby doll. How are you?" River asked, his voice deep and raspy in a way that made the butterflies in my stomach dance.

"I'm good thanks. Just on my way to the corner shop by my house."

"This late at night by yourself?" His worrying made me blush. How did I land such a considerate gentleman?

"River, relax," I chuckled softly. "I'm fine. I've done this so many times."

"I know, baby, I know but I can't help but worry about you."

I giggled into the receiver, tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ear, finally spotting the corner shop in the dim street lighting.

"Shit," he cursed suddenly and it sounded like his car was swerving. He'd only passed his test two weeks ago so he wasn't the best just yet. Unfairly, I was born in July so it would be ages before I'd be able to drive but I'd been having secret lessons with Nathan and Zack so hopefully I'd be able to pass as soon as my birthday came around.