Chapter 9

(Rylee's POV)
The ride home from the park was completely silent. I couldn't stop wondering what was going through T.J's head. I suddenly felt guilty, I don't know why, but I feel as if I've done something wrong. "I'm sorry," I apologize suddenly. T.J takes his eyes off the road for a second to look at me, "why?" "I don't know, I felt like I needed to say it," I answer honestly. He chuckles, "you did nothing wrong, why would you apologize for nothing?" I shrug, "I don't know, I felt guilty for something, so I thought I'd apologize." He laughs quietly, shaking his head, "you're something else, you know that?" I shake my head and look out the window.
We pull into the driveway, and I get out quickly, wanting to separated from the tension-filled car. I get in the house, and am about to climb the stairs when T.J stops me, "Rylee." I turn to him. His eyes stayed fixed on the ground, his hands in his jean pockets. "Yeah?" I ask. "Let's forget what happened today, put it behind us and go back to how everything was," he states, looking up at me. "You mean ignoring each other?" I question. He nods and I feel my heart drop. "O-okay. Sure," I reply and hurry up the stairs, shutting the door and locking it.
"Rylee, what's wrong?" Elisa asks, walking over to me carefully. I look up, feeling a tear slip down my cheek. She holds her arms open and I run into them, and she holds me, "want to talk about it?" I nod and sit on the bed, her across from me.
"So, what happened?" She asks. "Well..." I tell her everything that happened, from the part where we were sitting on the bench to what happened downstairs just now.
"He hates me," I state. "I'm going to talk to him," Elisa says, standing and walking to the door. "No! Please!" I beg, walking after her. "Sorry, Ry, you can't stop me on this one," she states, walking down the stairs.
I shut the door and jump back on the bed, burying my face in my pillow. She can't change him, even if she is his sister, he wouldn't like a girl like me anyways.
(T.J's POV)
After I told Rylee that we shouldn't talk anymore, I felt guilty. I didn't want to not talk to her, I love talking to her. She's the only thing keeping me sane. I watched her face drop after I said we shouldn't talk, and I watched her run up the stairs. But I didn't stop her. I should've. I should've stopped her and held her in my arms telling her everything would be alright, but I didn't. I let her go, and I'll probably never get her back.
I lie on the couch, putting my arm over my eyes, and sigh. I hear someone coming down the stairs, and I sit up quickly, hoping it was Rylee. I'm sure my face noticeably dropped when I saw it was only my sister. She didn't look happy. She stomped over and stood in front of me, her hands on her hips, "what is your problem?" "What?" I ask. "Don't give me that, you know what. Why did you say that to her?" She snaps. "Are you talking about Rylee?" I question. "No, George Washington," she replies sarcastically. "Why are you asking me about Rylee? I don't care," I tell her. Why am I lying to her? "You stupid, selfish, jerk! You know, I used to think you were smart, caring, and kind, but I see I was wrong," she hisses. "Woah, what's wrong?" I question. "Maybe you should go see for yourself, you hurt her feelings, idiot!" She yells. "I-I did?" I stutter. 'Yes, you know you did! You hurt her and did nothing about it!' I scorn myself. "Yes, you did, and I don't know if you can fix it or not," my sister answers quietly. I stand up, "you. Stay here." She smirks at me and sits on the couch.
I walk cautiously up the stairs and cower in front of Rylee's door. 'Go on, idiot!' I knock on the door. No answer. I knock again. "Go away!" I hear her yell, hoarsely. Crap, what did I do? I open the door and walk in. "Rylee?" I ask softly. I can see her freeze, and she doesn't answer. I walk carefully over to her bed and sit on the edge. "I'm sorry," I whisper. "I know you probably won't forgive me. I'm an idiot. I shouldn't have said that to you. It was a lie, you know? I like talking to you. I enjoy hearing you laugh, even when my jokes are stupid. I like seeing you smile and your eyes light up when something makes you happy. But, I haven't seen it in a while, and I know it's my fault for it." She still doesn't move, she just lies there. "Rylee, please, say something," I practically beg. She turns and sits up, her eyes red from crying, making my heart squeeze. I did that. I made her feel like this. "Why?" She asks. "What do you mean?" I ask confused. "Why? Why did you kiss me, why did you apologize for doing it, why did you say you wanted us to go back to ignoring each other?" She questions, her eyes searching mine for an answer. I sigh and place my head in my hands, "you're too good for me. I kissed you because I like you, I apologized because I'm not worthy to have done it, I wanted us to ignore each other again because I knew it would hurt more if we continued to talk and you got a boyfriend. Basically, I was being selfish about the 'ignoring each other' part." She smiles a little, "you think?" I look at her a give her a small smile. She's so beautiful, even in this state. "You know, I don't think I've seen a girl as pretty as you," I tell her. I see her cheeks turn pink and she looks down, "thanks." "Rylee, I'm sorry. I really am. Can we be friends again?" I ask. She nods, "friends."
I was grateful for that much of a relationship with her. I just need to be with her in some way.
(Rylee's POV)
I'm glad that we're friends. I mean, I wish it were more, but I'm grateful for this little bit of a relationship with him. I just need to be with him in someway. He sighs and stands, "I'm really sorry, Rylee." I smile softly at him, "it's fine, I'm just glad we're friends." He smiles a little, "yeah, me too." I watch as he walks out of my room, shutting the door behind him. A part of me wishing he would stay, but the other telling me that it had to be this way, us being apart... Just as friends.