Chapter One

'Mom, I need some help finishing off this deer, his antler caught my side, and I'm holding him for dear life, he's out for blood!'  Emerald mindlinked her mother, Maihra, who was there in seconds holding down the deer for her son, Chase, to finish with the killing grip on it's neck.  Emerald and Maihra both relaxed as soon as the last breath left the struggling deer's body and the fight in his eyes twinkled away.  'Nice one Chase' Maihra linked her son, 'And it's okay to ask for help sometimes,' she sternly linked Emerald.  The three wolves all sat near the carcass of the fallen beast and together sent his spirit off the the stars 'Mighty warrior, we thank you for the sustenance you will provide our bodies to roam another day, may your spirit find peace and fields aplenty' they all said in the mindlink together as one.
    Maihra gazed upon her son and daughter, Chase was a hefty black wolf with a spirit as soft as a rabbit, Like his father Blister chimes in, Maihra smiled internally.  Emerald on the other hand was a lean ginger wolf who's gentle looks always betrayed her feisty, angry spirit inside She definitely gets that from us Blister chuckled.  She sighed, and sat there watching as her young tore into the carcass of the fallen warrior, she was happy that she decided to leave her pack for the hard rogue life to raise these two wonderful pups.  It wasn't easy, but with the human towns and cities around, the small pack managed.  After her pups were full, she then ate the leftovers and shifted to human form to grab the fallen warrior's skull to honor him in the tiny pack's cabin they built. 
    Emerald and Chase linked her, still in wolf form, 'What are you doing mom, aren't you going to shift back to get to the cabin quicker?' Chase protested.  Emerald on the other hand linked 'see you at home mom!  Love you.' and raced away into the woods.  Chase looked guiltily back at his mother with his big blue eyes, and she nodded him off to run after his sister, 'Thanks mom' he linked her as his big black form melted into the woods. 
     Maihra took her time enjoying the scenery of the lovely woods surrounding the lonely cabin her and her pups lived in, as she carried the skull of the deer, she suddenly heard a mindlink that she hadn't heard in sixteen years..... 'Maihra?  Are you here?' asked a gentle deep, commanding voice that made her trip mid step and catch her arm on some sharp bushes, her mate's wolf Cinder's smell hit her nose, 'Clyde! how'd you find me?'  the huge grey Alpha stalked out of the bush, still in his wolf form, the angry man inhabiting the giant gentle wolf snarled at her, 'How dare you leave me! Do you know the chaos that ensued after your leave, that I've been dealing with ALONE,' he barked, fangs dripping saliva 'for the past sixteen years?'  Maihra trembled at the anger expressed through the link, he'd never been aggresive with her, "I had to leave" she told him aloud, he then shifted and the boiling anger was apparent on his human features, and his normally gentle brown eyes glowing amber with the presence of his wolf trying to calm him.
"Why couldn't you at least have left an explanation for the pack to deal with!" he shouted, tears starting to form in the normally stoic alpha's eyes.  Maihra was in so much shock and fear that she accidently let go of the deer skull, which fell and a piece of the great warrior's remains broke off.  Clyde took a step closer to her making her cower back in raw fear, her gentle mate Clyde had never treated her this way before. That was sixteen years ago and his anger is justified, he probably thought we died, her wolf Blister reasoned.