Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was a few days later. We had closed the case the day before. I was at my house, getting ready for dinner at Rossi's. 

When 6:30 came, Harris picked me up in his car and I gave him the instructions to get to Rossi's house. 

We got to his house and parked our car. I smiled at Harris. "You know, they're really excited to meet you." 

"I'm excited to meet them." 

"They're all profilers, though. They'll be able to read you like a book." 

"Oh, that's comforting," he said, sarcastically. 

I smiled. "You'll be fine." 

"You know, it's usually you who's worrying about things and it's me saying 'you'll be fine.'" 

I rolled my eyes. "Come on," I said as I got out of the car. I saw Reid getting out of his car at the same time as me. 

I smiled at him and walked up to him, pulling Harris behind me. "Hi!" 

Harris smiled at Reid. He held out his hand to him. Reid shook his head. "Oh, no, sorry, I don't shake hands. Some people have as much as five million bacteria on each hand. Its really not sanitary. Over 80% of all common infections are transmitted by touching of the hand." 

Harris nodded and put his hand down. "I'm Harris Miller." 

"Spencer Reid." 

We walked into the house. Rossi answered the door and I smiled. "Hi Dave." 

"Hey Leroy. Reid." He turned to Harris, who was standing awkwardly next to me. "You must be Harris." 

He smiled and shook Rossi's hand. "That would be me." 

"Nice to meet you. I'm David Rossi." 

"Nice to meet you, too." 

The pleasantries continued for a while. Once everybody was there, we started eating dinner. Rossi was a really good chef. It must have been his Italian ancestry.

After dinner, we had some wine in the parlor and talked for a while. Then, before I knew it, the night was over and I was driving home. 

Harris parked at my house and came inside with me. We sat on my couch. I leaned my head on his shoulder. "Did you like them?" 

He shrugged. "Do they have to come to our wedding?" 

I nodded. "Yeah,  Harris, they're my best friends." 

"Do you really not have any other friends?" 

I shook my head and studied my hands. 

"They're all freaks." 

I frowned and sat up. "Does that mean I'm a freak too, Harris?" 

He shook his head. "No, no, that's not what I'm saying, it's just-" 

"They're the only people I really interact with on a regular basis," I said, hugging my elbows. 

"I know, and I'm just saying that maybe you should try and get some normal friends." 

I nodded. "Ok. Goodnight." I stood up and opened the door for him.

He left, not saying a word.

I sighed and changed into some sweatpants. I read a couple of books before turning off my lamp and going to sleep.