parts of computer

ntroduction

The basic parts of a desktop computer are the computer case,monitorkeyboardmouse, and power cord. Each part plays animportant role whenever you use a computer..

Computer Case

A computer case

The computer case is the metal and plastic box that contains the main components of the computer. It houses the motherboard, central processing unit (CPU), the power supply, and more.

Computer cases come in different shapes and sizes. A desktop case lies flat on a desk, and the monitor usually sits on top of it. A tower case is tall and sits next to the monitor or on the floor. The front of the case usually has an on/off switch andone or more optical drives.

Most of the personal computers you can purchase today include tower cases, rather than desktop cases; however, some computers are being made with all of the internal components built into the monitor, which completely eliminates the tower.

An all-in-one iMac

Monitor

A monitor

The monitor works with a video card, located inside the computer case, to display images and text on the screen. Newer monitors usually have LCD (liquid crystal display) or LED (light-emitting diode) displays. These can be made very thin, and they are often called flat panel displays. Older monitors use CRT (cathode ray tube) displays. CRT monitors are much bigger and heavier, and they take up more desk space.

Most monitors have control buttons that allow you to change your monitor's display settings, and some monitors also have built-in speakers.

LED displays are actually LCD displays that are backlit with light-emitting diodes. This allows for greater contrast than a traditional LCD display.

Power Cord

A power cord connected to a surge protector

The power cord is the link between the power outlet and the power supply unit in the computer casing. If the power cord is not plugged in, the computer will not power on. To protect your computer from voltage spikes, you can plug the power cord into a surge protector. You can also use an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS), which acts as a surge protector and also provides temporary power if there is a blackout.

Keyboard

The keyboard is one of the primary ways we communicate with the computer and enter data. There are many different types of computer keyboards such as wired, wireless, ergonomic, multimedia, and more. Although there may be differences in the location of some keys or features, keyboards are very similar and allow you to accomplish basically the same tasks.

Mouse

A mouse

The mouse is a peripheral that is known as a pointing device. It lets you point to objects on the screen, click on them, and movethem.

There are two main types of mice: optical and mechanical. Theoptical mouse uses an electronic eye to detect movement and is easier to clean. The mechanical mouse uses a rolling ball to detect movement. Generally, a mechanical mouse is cheaper, although it may require regular cleaning to keep it working properly.

Traditionally, a mouse connects to the computer using a USB orPS/2 connection. However, you can also buy a wireless mouse, which can reduce clutter on your desktop.

To learn the basics of using a mouse, check out our interactive Mouse Tutorial.

Mouse Alternatives

There are other devices that can do the same thing a mouse can do, but with a different look and feel. Many people find them to be easier to use, and they also require less desk space than a mouse. The most common mouse alternatives include:

A touchpad on a laptop

Trackball: A trackball has a ball on top that can rotate freely. Instead of moving the device like a mouse, you can simply roll the ball with your fingers to move the pointer. Some mobile devices have miniature trackballs that can be controlled with your thumb.

Touchpad: A touchpad (also called a trackpad) is a touch-sensitive pad that lets you control the pointer by making a "drawing" motion with your finger. Touchpads are very common on laptop computers.

Disk-a disk is a piece of plastic that holds information for or from your computer.

C.D.-a round circle holds information for or from your computer.  

Hard Drive-hard drives are machines that have alot of memory to save your work and carries a c.d.rom and a floppy disk Keyboard-a keyboard is a tool that is used for typing like a typewriter.

Monitors- a monitor is the screen on your computer that you look at when you are on the computer.

Mouse-  A piece of plastic that has a ball on the bottom and two buttons on the top.  When you click on the mouse, you usually click on the left button.  It allows you to click on and choose things on your screen. Printer-  A machine that puts things from the computer onto paper.

Scanner-  A piece of equipment that copies pictures so that you can use it in your computer projects.   Speakers-  The part of the computer that lets you hear the sounds from the programs.  

Modem-  A part of the computer that connects to the phone lines so that you can go on the Internet. Chip-  A small piece inside the computer that helps your computer work.  Chips have to be programmed by people or they won't work.  There are many chips in a computer.

Motherboard-  A main board of the computer that has many chips on it.  The motherboard makes the computer work.  It also is where the memory and the processing are found.

CPU (Central Processing Unit)-  A chip that is the "brains" of your computer that processes the information.