Chapter Twelve, Part Two: The Garden Maze

[MATURE CONTENT AHEAD]

As the moon slowly rose and the stars shone brightly, Sir Geraint felt the bitter pang of jealousy get worse with every second he had to watch the woman he loved laugh at another man. Alex had that smile on his face he had seen many times, a smile that he had when he finally got to bed significantly beautiful women back home in Tridor. It was a smile Sir Geraint had grown used to seeing, but seeing it on his face now irked him more than he could ever expect.

He looked at the princess, who looked blooming in the candlelight, and felt tiny daggers hitting his chest. Why was she suddenly so happy to see him? Didn't she hate him? Was it just that easy for her to play with his emotions, after what they did just the night before? His grip on the hilt of his sword tightened as he tried his hardest to hide his displeasure.

Finally, the meeting ended, with Alex sharing a rather warm—too warm for Sir Geraint's liking—embrace. "Oh Alex, that was so wonderful. I never knew you could have this side," Amelia said with her bright smile, batting her eyelashes at him. Alexander blushed and said, "I would do anything to see you smile." Sir Geraint gritted his teeth and cleared his throat before saying: "It is late, your highnesses."

They both looked at him, and when he met the princess's eyes, he felt a cold rush go down his spine. Her smile was still warm but her eyes were like ice, staring and throwing daggers at him. Geraint gulped nervously: did he do something wrong? Was it something he said? Why was she tormenting him like this?

"Of course, it's late. I big you goodnight," Alexander said after the short silence. He kissed Amelia's hand, looked at her, and leaned in and kissed her cheek. Watching it all happen felt like Sir Geraint experienced whiplash. She blushed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Goodnight," she said shyly. Why was this happening?!

Alexander nodded at the knight, his face still clearly flushed, a smile still playing on his lips. Sir Geraint watched him walk on; he knew he had to follow, but his feet were planted on the ground. He turned to Amelia, who simply looked away up at the moon.

"Isn't the moon beautiful, sir?" she said casually. Geraint looked at her, feeling confused and hurt. He could no longer hold it back. The words bubbled and ached to be released.

"Why are you so cold to me?" he asked her, walking towards her. She looked at him and blinked, surprised. "What are you talking about?" she asked innocently.

Geraint stood his ground, shaking his head. "No, you can't play these games with me. Not after what happened to us," he said, his voice low and serious. Amelia frowned and looked at him right in his eyes, seeming confused and hurt. "What are you trying to imply here?"

"Please, please don't pretend you're not doing anything at all," Sir Geraint pleaded. "You've been so warm and sweet to him when I know you've hated him the moment you saw him. You barely look at me nor speak to me, when we've broken all barriers last night," he added, holding her hand and looking into her eyes. "Why do you torment me so?"

Amelia searched his eyes, and he began to see her tough exterior started to crumble. Her grip on him tightened. "It's only because you were so cold to me this morning. Like it was nothing," she said bitterly, tears springing to her eyes. She looked away, as if looking at Geraint hurt her.

Geraint slowly caressed her cheek, making her look at him again. "I only was that way because it was too public of me to be any more affectionate. But that didn't mean I only saw you as some conquest. You are and always will be the most beautiful woman in my life," he said, his voice now gentle and warm.

Amelia managed a smile, a single tear rolling down her eyes. "You mean that?" she asked softly. "Then, I apologize. I was trying to make you jealous," she added. Geraint chuckled softly. "And you succeeded in that. I was so jealous that it hurt to even see you smile at him the way you did," he replied to her.