1 - Spring Without You

The rays of moonlight peak out from under the trees overhead. The once bare tree branches bear young leaves.

My quiet steps under the star-filled sky is a constant sound. The night seems so lively and awake with the nocturnal life around me, however within the hollow husk I call a body, I am lonely and lifeless.

It's been half a year now. Half a year since I stopped going to school. Juleka insisted that I at least read some of my old school books, but I couldn't. I didn't want to see anything that reminded me of Marinette or Adrien.

It's stupid, I know. Being bitter about some dumb heartbreak. I've always heard about how painful heartbreak is, and I've always passed it off as being immature, but that was before I experienced it myself.

Heartbreak, from my perspective, is quiet, but it's a strangling feeling that makes you want to cry for help, while also holding back your emotions and bottling them up.

Some manage to be the bigger person and use their pain and agony in a way that makes it easier to prevent it again. However, not all people are that fortunate.

Dealing with heartbreak also depends on the situation in which you've been heartbroken. In my case, I watched my old best friend kiss the girl I was in love with. One of the worst possible circumstances.

If I could go back in time and tell my old self that it wasn't worth it, would he listen?

Probably not. I loved Marinette too much.

When I was discharged from the hospital that December night, I vividly remember having a dream about her.

It was more like a nightmare, honestly.

And every now and again, I would have the very same nightmare.

I would watch the girl I loved walk away from me and join hands with the blond, handsome model boy I considered my brother.

I would quietly watch the whole world fade away as they skipped into the red-orange sunset.

That dream- no- that nightmare would repeat over and over and over until it was so vivid and so real that I would wake up every morning with cold tear stains running down my face.

Juleka stopped asking about why I woke up tear-ridden every morning a few weeks after I was discharged.

The pace of my feet quickened at the boiling thoughts of the bluebell-eyed girl. I broke into a sprint, carrying my feather-light body down the River Seine.

I lifted my eyes to the starlit night sky (let's just pretend they are able to see stars for now), and just at the sight of them, I'm reminded of her sparkling gaze. Another jolt of anger rushes through my veins.

Stop thinking about her!

My feet slow little by little until I finally come to a stop. I sigh in defeat. It's no use. I can't run from the past.

How wonderful it would be if I could flee from my problems and my mental battles. Life wouldn't be so bleak and dull if that were possible.

When I got home, Juleka was sitting out on the deck, a worried expression on her face.

Guilt stabbed me in the chest.

"Luka, where've you been?" she asks sleepily. I looked away, "Sorry... I just... needed to breathe." I murmured without looking her in the eye.

She gripped my arm lightly, "Luka. Can you please tell me what's wrong? You haven't been getting sleep for almost two weeks now. You look exhausted."

My chest felt heavier, "I know. I'm sorry."

"Go to sleep. I'm serious." she frowned.

I nodded, "Alright. You too." I pat her on the head.

I lay in bed that night awake for hours, and probably only got a few minutes of sleep before orange and pink rays shone into the room.

Marinette's POV

The sky outside my window turned brighter, the stars faded away as the sun rose over the blossoming trees.

It seemed they too were waking up from a long, peaceful slumber.

A sigh escaped my lips as I sat up and blinked away the rest of my sleepiness.

"Marinette, are you awake?" I heard my Mom call from downstairs. "Yeah, I'm coming down," I replied.

Every morning, I'd wake up early to help at the bakery since I had nothing else to do. The fresh scent of spring welcomed new customers.

I worked for a few hours until my parents called to see me upstairs when the bakery was empty, which was normally when everyone was either at school or work.

"What'd you wanna talk to me about?" I asked as I sat down across from them.

My dad started off slowly, "Marinette... we appreciate your help in the bakery very much, but..." he trailed off. My mother took over, "We think it's time we find you a school." she told me.

My breathing stopped for a second, trying to process what I just heard. "What...?"

"We've been looking for a few weeks and there's one nearby. Of course, it isn't as close to us as your previous school but it's a good place." my Mom said. "..." I wasn't sure what I should say. I had mixed feelings about this.

They've been looking for a school and didn't tell me...?

"But... what about the bakery? Who'll help you?" I stammered. Mom shook her head, "Marinette, we can manage perfectly fine! We've done it before, nothing to worry about there!"

Uneasiness pooled in my stomach, "Okay... if you're sure." I murmured, unable to look at them.

My Dad nodded.