The Plant Man

Chapter 1

“African Central Airways to Paris is now ready for boarding. We will board First Class and Business Class passengers first. All other passengers please wait”.

“Kindly have your passport and boarding pass ready for inspection. We thank you for your patience and wish you a pleasant flight”.

Just the words Mikkel has been waiting for almost three hours to hear. Yes, for the past three hours he has been at the airport, even though his flight did not leave until 11 pm.

He was warned to arrive early for checking in and passport control. He heeded and arrived at the airport at 7pm.

“Stay calm”, he tells himself.

It was hot. It was humid.

He was sweating. It seems the AC was not working.

“Stay calm.” He tells himself once more. He had already been through baggage check and passport control. He had answered questions from the immigration official about his mission in CAR.

However, he was still nervous. He has heard stories of where someone had cleared baggage and passport control only to be stopped and detained as they were about to board. He has even heard stories of people been pulled off a plane.

Like a movie playing in front of him, he saw those dark long nights in Kautokeino, the Northern part of Norway. He remembers the midnight sun. He remembers his grandfather in their village of Masi.

Now he finds himself in the middle of Africa; yes, literally in the middle of Africa-The Central African Republic.

He was about to do something that would change his life forever. He would never be the same again.

He took out his mobile and took one more look at her picture. She was the most beautiful girl he has ever seen; the kind of girl you see in fashion magazines. He remembers the wonderful time they have spent together.

He has the letter she left in his hotel room the night before. Respecting her wishes, he would read it once the plane takes off.

Then he started sweating.

The question dawned on him; What if he cannot get out of this country? As he thought about the question, he was interrupted by an announcement.

“We will now be boarding all other passengers. Please have your passport and boarding pass ready. Thank you”.

He swallowed hard. “It’s going to go fine. Just be cool,” he said to himself, swallowing again. His throat was dry. It hurt as he swallowed.

He already knew what he would do if he was asked to open his bag. First, he was going to be calm. Second, smiling, he would oblige. Third, he would explain to officials, who he was, and produce his project documents.

He also had the stamped documents from the tall lanky man. Nonetheless, he does not have documents from the local institute allowing him to take the samples out of the country. If asked, he would have some explaining to do.

He was scared, but he should not show it. The sweating was normal, not the shaking. His hands were beginning to shake. He had been normal all along, and now that he was about to board, he starts to shake.

Standing at the boarding gate, were two menacing looking paramilitaries, with AK 47 mounted across their chests. They wore dark sunglasses, which made Mikkel more nervous. He was not sure whether one or both were looking at him, as he could not see their eyes.

One tried to smile to the other passengers as they went through the gate. Mikkel could tell he was forcing the smile.

Mikkel also noticed about eight or so plain clothes special security officers by the same gate.  He knew their demeanor. He had watched them at the hotel the night before.