Chapter 1

Heaving his blade into the air, taking the final swing, the hero stared down at the bleeding demonic general. Sweat trickling down his face, his arms heavy from the extensive fight, he was relieved that it was going to be over soon. Releasing the blade, a powerful blast so powerful sent him flying across the hall, crashing into the steel and stone jagged walls. Stunned, but unharmed, he turned attention at the silhouette that had appeared where the general once was. In his arms, the general struggled to voice her shameful defeat.

"Sylvia... there's no need. Rest, you've done your part." The masked man answered, his voice calm and composed, yet his aura screamed with anger and hatred, so powerful it manifested physically as black smoke. The air around them was heavy, the moment he entered.

The mysterious figure bore no weapons, dressed in black cloak and jacket, only his gauntlets were wrapped with fine metal, his subtle movements released no sound of metal crashing against one another nor did he moved like there was weight on him. Like a ghost.

The hero studied the figure over and over trying to understand who or what he was. In all his battles and studies, of slaying demons and monsters, trying to reach the demon lord and free humanity from this tyrant, he has never met something so... Inhumane. No that wasn't the word that could describe him. His voice wasn't ghastly like the Soul reavers, his aura wasn't as dark and demonic as demons, but he released something of similar presence.

Suddenly, the masked figure turned his attention towards the hero. "Hero..." he called out, bending his head sideways. Questioning, "Why?"

Are you stupid? He wanted to cry out, instead he gripped his blade even tighter, "Eliminate the  scourge of this land. The demon lord who sends his army terrorizing our people!"

Stopping in his tracks, fixed back onto the woman, Sylvia. He caressed her, stalling, as another female appeared, from behind, seemingly out of nowhere. "Take her to the emergency room." Handing her over.

"What about you?" She questioned, shriveling back, realizing her mistake.

He didn't answer.

Nodding her head, she sank back into the shadow with the body.

"Humanity is the only threat. The only species w-, I have to keep in check." The masked being proclaimed walking towards the hero. "You say we've terrorized you yet, this kingdom has not made contact with your kind since it was founded. Look around you. Let me ask you 'hero.' You come storming through the gates killing everything in your path and take it out on us?! They too are living beings... They too live a life parallel to yours. You think we are the ones who defile your land?! Without evidence, without consultation, you bring destruction upon our lives..."

Gripping his blade tightly, sweat slowly trickled down, as his instincts were screaming to run away.

Akira gleamed down on the insect. Wondering if he should spare it out of pity, the thought of it came only for a moment only to remind Akira what he's done, the damage and people he's hurt. Drawing his weapon from thin air, green energy pouring and shaping itself in his hand, Akira lifted it and pointed the tip of the spear towards his enemy. "Pray to your god." And hope that your actions didn't start the beginning of the end, again."

It happened too fast. There who lied on the floor, blood permeating the cracked stone floor, was the a boy, struggling to breathe his final breath. Staring at the ceiling, tears in his eyes, as pain numbed his senses. Footsteps slowly echoed closer as the masked figure stood over him.

"It wasn't personal." He said as the life extinguished from the body.

War was inevitable. Hundreds of bodies covered the city roads in every direction, fire was burning with screams echoing in the distance. Akira stood there, fist gripped, nails digging into his skin. He was a horrible king. No words can heal these wounds. No action can hide the scars. No magic can bring back the lost. He can't save everyone. He can't even protect the ones he cares for most. Most of all he can't make it last forever.