New School, New Friend

When I was little, about thirteen years old, I met a boy in school. A tall skinny guy with curly black hair, and pale blue eyes. He was unlike any guy I'd ever met, he was brilliant, but he could be a jerk sometimes, but he was my best friend. When I'd first seen him, I'd asked my only friend who he was. "Oh, him? Don't even bother trying to get anywhere near him." She said. "He's a freak, and he doesn't talk to anyone."

"He can't be that bad."I protested. "Nobody can be that bad."

"Just, don't talk to him, okay?"

But all he ever did was sit and think. Every day, just sitting, obviously thinking. He couldn't be doing anything else.

So the next day at recess when saw him sitting under a tree, I went over to him, despite Evelyn trying to drag me back. I stood in front of him. "Hi." I said.

He looked up to me, his curly black hair reflected almost ginger in the sunlight, and his creamy blue eyes shawn with intelligence. "And who exactly are you?" He asked, but before I could, he started again. "Wait, don't tell me that would be boring." He looked me up and down skeptically. "Your name is Riley Allen. You're American, but your mother got a job here after your father died last month, and you can't leave, no matter how much you want to. You're struggling to fit in, and you're scared you'll lose the one friend you have." He stood up. "So listen to me, Riley Allen, if you want to fit in, if you want to keep that moron you call a friend, walk away now. Turn around, and never talk to me again."

I stared at him in shock.

"How did you know all that?" I wondered in amazement.

He looked confused, but he answered, "I guess you could say I... Picked it up..."

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Did you just hear a single word I said?"

"I heard all of it. Now, I believe I asked you a question."

He ruffled his curly hair nervously. "Sherlock." He told me. "Sherlock Holmes. And I believe my brother Mycroft gave you the welcome speech?"

"Yes I think he did. And a ture to go with it. How do you live with him, he's so irritating."

"It's a specialized talent. But you do get used to him after a while."

I smiled. "I like you."

He tried to scowl, but just ended up smirking. "You shouldn't."

"Do I look like I care?"

He sighed, letting a faint smile cross his face. "Not particularly."

"Exactly."

And he has been my best friend ever since... Until I moved to Edinburgh, Scotland.