Doll

I don't know how it was possible, or how it could have came to be, but I became alive. I couldn't move, blink, or breathe, but I could see and think. It scared me at first. I was still being made, so I didn't know what exactly was going on at the time. But just by looking around, this has got to be a porcelain doll making store. A lot of these dolls looked really realistic like they were actual humans, but they couldn't be. I don't know what I look like, but I wonder if it's as realistic as the other ones. A man with a scruffy beard that was barely there and small rounded glasses which behind them held dark brown, almost black, eyes with dark burgundy hair was working on me, attaching limbs onto me and painted intricate things onto me.

It wasn't too long before I was shown to a mirror by the man, and I was beautiful. I had silky bright blonde hair that was neck-length, and bright and big light blue eyes with pretty eyelashes. My pale porcelain face gleamed in the light that was shown above the room, and I undoubtedly looked beautiful and realistic. My outfit looked like that of a nobles outfit from back then, and it was of a lighter blue around the same color as my eyes. I wanted to move so bad to touch my face, but I am unable to. My lips were carved into a perfect and sleek smile, yet it didn't look like I was happy. My eyebrows were thin to a sharp point and they didn't make me have an expression. Yet I had these appearances, I had no expression to show on my face. As quick as it came, I was pulled away from the mirror, and I had to watch as I was being carried.

"You are one of my best works."

The man says to himself, almost as if talking straight to me. Best? A door had reached my vision and I had gotten closer to it by the seconds. A hand pulled the door open, and it showcased a small room with either wood or other dolls in it. They all had rather pretty outfits, but they were all on shelves. I passed them, wondering where I would go, until I was planted right in front of a window. I wasn't on the shelf, but actually on a display case? Did that mean I look really good?

Days have passed. It was amazing. To watch people walk around talking and watching cars drive by. Watching someone else's life happen right before you. I saw all kinds of people, those of many ages. Children, elders, and adults. Whether they be walking alone or walking in a group, I never forgot a single one. Especially this young kid. He must have been really young, probably in his 6 or 7's, but everyday I'd watch him come to this window and look at me. His eyes were so full of life when he looked at me, and I tried to stare back into his bright dark pink orbs. He would always smile when looking at me, but he could only do it for a short amount of time as his mother always seemed to pull him away. I haven't paid too much attention to what was necessarily around me other than just observing without questioning. Seeing the boy did bright my spirit in a way. He liked me so much that he'd see me everyday.

Then, one day, he came into the store with his mother. I could only look in front of me, so I couldn't see what was happening once he walked in. The store owner greeted them wholesome.

"Ah, welcome youngin, with his mother. What can I do for you?"

I heard the mother about to speak but her child cut her off.

"I want a doll! One I've been seeing for days!"

"Yes, he's been looking at this one particular doll for a while now. I've decided that I'll finally give in and get it for him."

"Well, which one is it?"

I don't hear a response, but footsteps. They get a bit louder, before I hear,

"That one! One on the shelf!"

The small boy says happily, hopefully pointing at me.

"Ah, Roland, is it?"