Chapter 2: Blast from the Past

"Are you still mad at me?"

"Yes. Oh, and I won't be buying anything for you tomorrow."

"Aw, Emmie, come on! I'm sorry! It was just too good of an opportunity to waste!"

"Oh, really? Well guess what, this is too good of an opportunity to waste."

"Emmie, come on!" Dan wailed, exasperated.

"Why? I don't see what the problem is," Emmelie smiled. She was standing in front of the mirror in her room, pretending to brush her long, wavy dark blonde and chocolate brown hair. "It's my money, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but you promised!"

"No I didn't. I said I'd consider it. So yeah, no new book for you."

"You can't do that!"

"Oh, but I can. That'll teach you to play your mischievous tricks on me, you little monkey."

"But-"

"Nu-uh. You throw a boomerang and it comes straight back to ya."

"OK, boomer."

"What did you just say to me?"

"Nothing!"

"That's what I thought."

"Hmph."

"Where'd you even hear that phrase? It's not like you-"

"It really isn't your business, Emmelie."

"Aw, you're mad at me now?"

"No. I don't need your help anyway. I'm old enough to buy it myself."

"Are you, though? I'm fourteen. You're ten."

"Ten's old enough."

"Why'd you ask me to help, then?"

"I dunno," Dan shrugged. "Old habits die hard, I guess."

"I see."

"Hey, Emmie?"

"Yeah?"

"What was she like? And what did she look like? Mama, I mean."

"Well... she had wavy dark blonde hair, like you. And the most beautiful emerald green eyes. She was kind, pretty, patient, understanding, always calm, kind of sensitive, good at playing the violin and piano and just the best, really." Emmelie paused. "You know, you're just like her."

"Oh, good." There was a moment of silence. Emmelie stared at her chocolate brown streaks of hair in the mirror. Dan, who was sitting on her bed, twiddled his thumbs. The silence was broken when Dan sighed. "It was raining that day as well. Emmie... Is... Is it-"

"Don't even think about asking that question, Daniel," Emmelie warned. "Of course it's not. It never has been, and it never will be your fault."

"But Papa said-"

"Who cares what Dad said? Listen to what I'm telling you. It. Is. Not. Your. Fault."

"OK."

"Good."

"Emmie?"

"Hmm?"

"You're best big sister in the world."

"I know."

"Aren't you supposed to say...-?"

"Nope," Emmelie interrupted. "But I guess you're the best little brother in the world." Emmelie smiled at her brother, and he smiled back.

"Well, I should probably go and play with Meadow again before she gets bored playing by herself."