i

"I am somehow glad that there is an existing universe where you chose me over her."

Tears build up at the edge of my eyes as I continue reading. It's not a touchy story. It is not anything close to it. Yet, despite what I am saying it should be what it should be, it makes me teary and fragile at this very moment. Why the hell am I all teary? I don't know, self. Its genres are  Sci-Fi and Adventure, for Pete's sake. 

Anyways, here's how the story goes. It is about two travelers that cross through different dimensions. They are friends in their world, and their relationship differs in every universe they visit. The girl is just a side character, not even the main lead. Why am I so hooked on their separate story that is not even the main one?

The protagonist and a side character's relationship varies in each world, either friends, siblings, strangers, or lovers of others. This is like a wake-up call that there are JUST FRIENDS. Nothing more nothing less. It is very typical. The gal like the guy, but frankly, the guy is taken already by someone else in all the worlds they visited. The instances proved that there were no coincidences. It is what they call "destiny". That everything destined to happen is bound to happen no matter what. Seriously, in a part of the story, they visited a world where they are more than just friends. It is so—

Ack! I am too soft right now. It's not good. I'm too into it.  Yes, I complain and complain, yet I continue reading. Geez, did I just blabber about that nonstop? Great, just great.

"Hey, are you crying?" a classmate of mine asked, but I did not mind who he/she is. Why would I? Is he/she even relevant? God, the unwanted attention, I hate that.

As you can see. I am the type of reader who can't be bothered. No matter what you do. You can even throw me off the building and I would not budge unless I finish a chapter. No, don't. I still want to live. Oh! In case someone takes it, those are the only times I stop. Logical, right? Plus, correction, I am teary, yet ain't crying. 

"Are you okay, girl?" that pesky classmate of mine even shakes me.

"You are just wasting your... EVERYTHING," another one said, which I recognized as my friend, Aki's, voice, adding, "She is 'the UNBOTHERABLE' when she's reading."

Please take note that my senses are still at their finest even when I am in a deep focus on a book of any kind. Well, that seems to be my cue because I finish Chapter Eight of the book I was holding on to since I sat down in my seat and mind my own business.

I close the book and shoot a glance at him, "Really? That all you've got?"

"Don't worry." I draw a breath and turn to my classmate,  "I am okay. Thank you for asking. The story is just a little touchy. It made me a little mushy I mean soft." 

Aki huffs, "Nice excuse."

"That isn't an excuse, for your information."

"I doubt."

"And I shall take my leave," our classmate said, then walks away. Maybe she —yes, that classmate of ours is a "she"— doesn't want to catch up in the middle of our fight.

We look at each other, him with confusion and I with annoyance. It's normal for us to fight from the first subject until dismissal. Well, for now, it's too early to argue with this guy. I am not in the mood to do so. Later at lunchtime will do, it would be perfect timing, but not this time.

"Shoot! I have to check on Mika." he said before tapping on my arm and rushing away, "See you later, at lunch!" and out of our homeroom. He even sounds like we will not see each other during classes, adding that we are classmates.

I am relieved. I do not need to argue with Aki anymore. But a part of me wishes him to stay a little longer. Not because I want to continue fighting with him, but because I want him to stay. Just stay. Chat a bit more without arguing and have fun talking. Too bad we don't do that much of a thing anymore.

Oh, let me state the very obvious. Let's make it easy, shall we? I have a thing for my friend. Chiché for a story. I like him, period. But alas, he is taken by someone else, my other friend, Mika. So now, you know why I'm attached to the story I am currently reading. Sure, if ever there is a world where he chose me over her, I would gladly take my leave here.

How pathetic am I to retain this friendship even if it hurts me? To stay friends with the one I like is too irrational. Is it even a mere like or is it love already? I am not hoping there will be a chance for us to be "a thing" for once. I am not praying he will be a part of my future. Not as a friend anymore but more than a friend already. I just hate hoping. That is why I do not do it. Yes, I once, no twice, hoped there is the slightest chance for it to happen. It's a natural reaction. But now, there is no use for hoping anymore. It's impossible, and I saw all the possible reasons for it to be impossible. I still have my head to judge what is right from wrong or plain foolishness. I am not saying it is dumb to hope. But for me, it is.

-$-

"Ku," Aki taps on my shoulder while I am busy writing notes. I look behind because I don't get to pick who sits around me, and it happens that he sits behind me. Why not beside me? Good question. He said he wants to see me without even putting an effort to turn his head. Now, he will not stop bothering me until I give him my attention.

"What?" I whispered. 

"Hi," he says monotonously, then suddenly pulls off a playful smile from a straight face.

Here we go again. Aki's doing this I'll-bother-my-best-friend aura. I can feel it from him. There is no need to put my whole focus on him to tell. I can feel it from my nape he is planning something mischievous again.

I can't help my eyes to stop rolling. I take a deep sigh and face back to the board and continue taking down notes. Not long after that, I feel a few pokes on my sides. I turn and mouth out, "What?". Then a shrug greets me, making me go back to writing notes. That's the second time.

"Miku," he whispers to my ears feeling his breath on my sensitive neck. Goodness!

I unintentionally slap the back of my hand on his cheek. That was too close. My reflex made him sit back down, causing a not-so-loud noise that still attracts attention, including our teacher's attention. Oh god, unwanted attention.

"Furatowa, Dezuki," our teacher, Professor Yui, calls us out. The tone of his voice makes me stand up immediately, even if he did not look at us nor look away from the board, writing a long lecture. 

"Yes, prof?" we, mostly I, say it in a nervous tone. This situation is trouble, and we knew that for sure. It is only us, primarily him, who always, ALWAYS cause a commotion during class. 

"Go outside the hallway. Five books on both outstretched hands, no questions asked." Prof Yui says as he continues writing notes that almost occupied the whole board. As embarrassed students as we are, or at least I am the only one embarrassed, we follow our teacher's order. Why only me? He looks even proud that we will have to go through the same punishments for the nth time, as what friends do.

"Idiot," I whisper to him.

"Thank you—"

"No talking!" Prof yells, no tells in a tone of superiority, back at us. He, our professor, could hear that? Amazing!

Wait, the fact that Aki replied thank you to an insult. Weird. That is not a compliment, so why be thankful? I can also feel him smiling without needing to turn around. That boy is a pain in the— posterior. I have a weird one for a friend. How the hell did I fall for someone like him?

Too much for a starter pack?

I am Furatowa Miku, 15-year-old, a ninth-grader at Hanaki High. I am a quiet girl with a noisy friend that gives life and trouble to me. It's a pain, but it's a gift as well. Who knows, he keeps my solemn days lively. I also have an unrequited love for my friend ever since childhood, Dezuki Aki. It's been years, yet I still hold on to our friendship. I am not hoping, just holding on. I did not let go, even if I am Cupid, the cause of his happy ending.