Chapter 6.

Adrien was nervous to meet his new designer. When he heard the doorbell ring, he prayed that Claire had ordered a pizza. Of course, she hadn't, and in a moment, the intercom spoke.

"Mr. Agreste, your new designer is here to see you." Claire's voice boomed. Adrien stood up from his office chair. He took a deep breath and walked into his dining room. He couldn't have prepared himself for what he saw.

"Marinette?!" He barely recognized her. She had grown up so much since he left for America. Her now-longer hair fell at the sides of her face, not in the pigtails he'd been used to. Claire stood next to her, waiting at the table for him.

"This is your new designer, Marinette Dupain-Chang. She's brought a few designs to show you. I'll be in my office if you need me." With that, she left.

"H-hi," Marinette stammered. "I mean, great to see you again, sir."

"Don't call me that. Just... call me Adrien again. I haven't changed... I'm still me," Adrien said, feeling childish.

"Oh, but you have," Marinette said. "It's been years. Your father is dead. You must have changed somehow, even if it's just that little scar," She ran a finger over her hand, and Adrien looked at his. There was the scar from once when he'd tried to go out his dorm window to get away from the Gorilla. He had been scratched by a bit of exposed metal on the window frame. A scar ran down the back of his hand.

"Besides that, nothing's different. You're still as beautiful as the last time I saw you," Adrien turned red at his own words, but they were true. Maybe it was the rescue line cast into his void of loneliness that he would see his old classmates again. Marinette looked at him, confused. Something seemed to click in her mind.

"Claire didn't tell you it was me, did she?" Marinette asked quietly. Adrien shook his head and she smiled gently, sadly. "Well, it's okay. We'll just look at my designs now." She took her designs from her bag and spread them on the table. "So this one is my personal favorite. It has-"

"I missed you," Adrien whispered. "I missed you so much. I thought of you almost every day, and everyone else back here too."

"This one would look best made of silk," Marinette continued. She couldn't actually talk to Adrien. If she talked to him she'd love him all over again, and then he'd go find someone else. Her heart broke a little thinking of it. And he was heartless now. He hadn't gone to his own father's funeral. Her eyebrows twitched and she bit her tongue.

"Please," he begged. "Just talk to me. Please." Her voice sank to a whisper, trying not to let tears slip from her eyes.

"Satin ribbon," she said. A tear dropped down her cheek, barely missing the sketch on the table. "This one," she said tearfully, "should be made with satin ribbon for the sash."

Adrien's face went dark and stoic. He tapped his earpiece.

"Claire," he said.

"Yes, sir?"

"I'm going up to my room now. Cancel all my appointments. I'm not to be bothered. And... and send Marinette away." Adrien said. He'd turned his back so Marinette couldn't see the tears in his eyes. And he couldn't see hers. "But... don't fire her. Just set up another meeting. I can't think straight right now." Marinette sniffed behind him, but he went to his room without another word. He was sure she would be on her balcony.

-

Cat Noir jumped through the city. He prayed for Marinette to be out, but rain poured around him. He didn't care. He felt too bad to abandon her now. He wanted to show her his kindness as Cat Noir, replacing the cold, unfeeling Adrien that reminded him too much of his father.

He was too close for comfort.

He arrived at the bakery. Marinette wasn't on the rooftop like she normally was to think. He saw a silhouette move in her bedroom window. Feeling creepy, the cat knocked on the window. The silhouette jumped and moved the curtain. The tear-streaked face of the woman he once knew peeked through, and her red eyes widened. She closed the curtain and her shadow ran around the room and out onto the roof she rushed, umbrella in hand.

"What are you doing here?" Marinette said, choked up from crying.

"I have the reflexes of a cat. When my old friend is sad, I react to comfort her."

"How did you know?"

"Just a feeling. Like Spidey-sense." Cat Noir rubbed his arms. "May I go inside?"

"Of course! Go right in, I'll get you a towel," she said, pulling him closer under her umbrella.

"So who hurt you? Whose ass do I have to kick?" Cat Noir smiles gently. Marinette sighs.

"Adrien Agreste!" Marinette yelled, flopping down on her chaise.

"That model kid?" Cat Noir said, acting confused. "What'd he do?"

"He's a heartless bastard. His assistant came in here a while back, looking for a designer. I have no idea where she got my information, but I figured hey, it's safe, she gave me her information too," Marinette opened her desk drawer and took out a box of chocolates. She ripped off the lid and put a truffle in her mouth. A tear dripped from her eye as she held out a piece of chocolate to the superhero. Cat Noir picked it up cautiously in the claws of his suit, being careful not to drop it. "And then I realize I'll be working for..." She seemed to deliberate on something. "...an old friend. I don't want to be friends with him anymore after he left without telling me and didn't contact me for 4 years! And when I didn't wanna talk to him, he just walks off without listening to the business part of the business meeting. Made all these designs for nothing." Marinette pulled sketches out of her bag and threw them on the desk. Cat Noir went across the room to see them, popping the chocolate into his mouth as he went. He hadn't gotten much of a chance to actually look at them.

"These are amazing. The moron seriously wouldn't look at these?" Marinette nodded. "Wow. He's missing out and hurting the most talented designer in this whole damn city."

"Thanks, Cat." Marinette sighed and gave a small smile. She stood and gave him a hug, putting her head on his shoulder. Marinette began quietly sobbing and Cat Noir put his hand on her back. He felt her muscles relax under his gentle touch.

"It's okay, Marinette. Some other fashion company is sure to want you. I'm surprised they're not fighting over you."

"Well, he didn't fire me. I'm assuming we won't work directly for a long time. At least, I hope we don't," Marinette said, sniffing. Cat Noir hugged her again, this time frowning. He'd broken his friend's heart and he felt like garbage.

"So why do you think this guy is heartless?"

"He didn't go to his own father's funeral! I don't care how much he hated the guy, he still should've gone; the man is dead, after all. And besides, he cares nothing for me. He told his assistant to send me away- oh!" Marinette broke down in tears again, and Cat Noir rubbed her back.

This hadn't helped him.

It only made him feel worse.

And Marinette was still miserable.