Chapter Six: Troubles of the Heart

I always thought my love for Christopher would always remain unchallenged, and that nothing to stop the passion I felt for him, that is, until the day I met Caspian Crawford.

It was at the start of English that it happened. Mr Stone rapped his pointer on the table, saying in his deep voice
"Ladies, gentleman please, settle down, settle down I say!"
After a few more murmurs we became quiet. In the corner of my eye I saw a movement in the doorway. Tilting my head, I saw a tall, lanky teenager, with curly black locks. As Mr Stone gestured for him to come forward, the boy gave a confident nod before striding across the room.

Once he was beside the teacher, Mr Stone turned to the class,
"Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce Mr Crawford". The boy looked out at the class, giving a half-smile in greeting and said in a cheerful tone
"Hallo there, you guys can call me Caspian".
Mr Stone rubbed his hands together as he exclaimed
"Good, good. Now lets find you a seat shall we?" And his gaze swept the classroom.

Being the quiet and somewhat shy person I was, I usually sat at the back of the class by myself. I held my breath anxiously and avoided the teachers gaze in hopes that he would move past me. My hopes were dashed however as his eyes fell upon the empty desk beside me and lit up. Pointing to it, Mr Stone turned to Caspian,
"Ah there you go, beside Miss Stockil".

Inwardly swearing and rebelling, I plastered a friendly smile on my face and pulled back the seat beside me invitingly. It felt like ages before he was finally beside me and sat down.
Mr Stone, now satisfied, commenced the lesson. Opening my book I began to take notes, trying to ignore the distracting figure beside me. I felt him lean towards me and, looking up, I saw an inquiring expression in his face.
"Yes?" I sighed. He gave a lopsided grin and said
"May I please borrow a pencil? I seem to have misplaced mine". Giving another quiet sigh I pulled one out of my satchel.

As I passed him a pencil, our hands brushed, and a surge of electrical warmth circulated through me. Our eyes met, and I saw a kind expression in his handsome dark eyes which made my heart flutter. I rapidly withdrew my hand from his and wrenched my gaze from his own, forcing myself to focus on my notebook. I gave myself a fierce mental shake, telling myself that it was just a static shock. My heart belonged to Christopher and Christopher alone. Then why could I not shake the sight of the kind eyes from my mind? Why could I still feel the warm tingle on my skin?