EMMA| Entry III

15th February 2015Socials lounge

15th February 2015
Socials lounge

    This place has everything I need to know. It might appear delusional to examine a decade old crime scene, but even the littlest clue can be a life support for me.

My heeled boots make a tapping sound on the wooden floor of the lounge as I trudge further inside, shreds of bright yellow tape sticking to the muddy console of my boots and tiny shards of glass glimmering in the faint moonlight. The bar doesn't seem like it, with layers of dust lining the empty shelves and cabinets. The open seating space on the other side leads way for a whiz of air, making a trail of shiver bolt through my body all the way from the toes to my throbbing chest. Same as it was when I first came here. Thought it'd be my last.

It's impossible to imagine there were a hundred people here that night, doing what they do at every other party with little knowledge of how it'd turn out. The chaos ended in the usual manner for everyone– dealing with morning hangovers in the midst of napping on their bathroom floors, reeking of beer and bile. Except for two, whose lives immediately took a turn for the worst.

I capture the space in my mind and warily walk over to the most plausible place the crime could have been committed. The building is hardly two floored, but standing at the ledge feels nothing less than staring down from a skyscraper, my toes inwardly curling.

I try enacting how it would have happened back then. Monica must have held Rachel by her waist, lifted and pushed her over the ledge. It must have been easy since Rachel wouldn't have weighed anymore than a hundred pounds at best, and all the drinking would have anyway made her dizzy. The scenario seems to be playing itself, but something still doesn't make sense.

No one could save Rachel because no one had enough time to take control of the situation, to act. But what about the victim herself? Rachel must have tried her fate with at least some form of self defence, even if she was soaring in the hazy bounds of tequila. If not, then there was something else going on, apart from the action at this ledge.

Rachel could have been unconscious while Monica tried to murder her, but that wouldn't be very smart on her part as an offender. Monica could have chosen from a wide range of options available to her, to deal with a dozed off Rachel. So, why would the need arise to push her in front of everyone and get caught red handed?

The answers seem to be endless and none at the same time. I can only get a clear picture from someone who has seen it all unfold before their eyes. But it isn't that easy of a task as said. I barely know a few names out of the masses who attended this hell of a bash. I need more information to line up on a possible lead, and I can think of only one way to do it.

Before heading ahead, I figure I should look around some more, but barely end up with anything significant. Nothing but scrapes of dirt and possible traces of chlamydia covering the bathroom stalls. Stray pieces of toilet paper lying around crumpled, which had possibly been used to soak the endless tears of broken up couples.