Chapter 1-The First Day

My mother spoke to the cab driver in a babbling mix of French and English, directing him where to go. The driver, instead of paying attention pointed out the landmarks along the Seine, and I caught my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower in the distance.

'So, this is what Paris is like', I thought to myself, looking out the window into the bustling city beyond. I had imagined it much wider spread, with the houses grand and imposing, so I was surprised to see the small cramped streets with the tall, skinny apartments and flower boxes in the windows. I decided this was a good thing, and as we crossed a bridge over the river, I wriggled with excitement, ready to see our Parisian apartment.

We pull up outside the door of a shabby building crammed in-between a small clothing store on one side and another, fancier, apartment on the other. Our small dwellings were in the bustling center of Paris on the Ile Saint Louis.

My dad typed in the door code, and my sister and I each hefted one end of a bag and made our way up the, creaky, dingy spiral stair case and to the tiny green door of our apartment. I open the door and, instead of the cramped, filthy, dark apartment I had been expecting, I open the door to a bright room, with white walls and sheets, and a tiny kitchen. And, although it is small, it is perfect.

When we finally get all of the heavy bags up the stairs and shoved away in one corner, me and my dad go to explore the street. We climb down the steep spiral staircase and enter the dingy lobby. I push the door open and step out into the bright Parisian afternoon. A small motorbike whizzes past me, just as my dad steps out of the building.

"Which way should we go first," he asks.

"Umm" I say "left." We go left and look in all of the shop windows as we walk. Soon, I spot a bread shop, and me and my dad walk into the small store, and are enveloped by the smells of fresh baking bread. We buy two warm baguettes and keep on wandering down the narrow street.

A small cheese shop is across the street, so we decide to go inside, we end up buying way more cheese than we planned on and a slice of pate. Finally, we find a small grocery store and buy some strawberries and coffee, and then head back to the apartment.

Our purchases are met with gratification from my mom and sister. We make a pot of coffee and find some plates. We devour the bread, cheese, pate, and fruit with gusto and, even though it us is still early, we cannot resist the sleepiness that jet lag has thrust upon us, so we retire for the night