Part 10

The girls are taken back as soon as we arrive at the doctor's office. I sit in the waiting room while Brennen smokes a cigarette outside. The boy has hardly said two words to me. I know they're thinking what the hell kinda of world did they step into.

None of them asked for this. If we would have just called the cops, then we'd have nothing to hide. But I'm not going to lie and pretend like I'm not glad that motherfucker is dead.

In some way, I feel like retribution was done. I didn't get to kill Saw, but I did get to wrap my hands around a rapist's throat, and I did get to watch him die.

I got a text from an unknown number when I woke this morning that read done.

I erased it as soon as it came, got up, and went to hit off some stress. My thoughts shifted like the wind. Going over everything that happened last night. Knowing I'd have to explain myself to my girl. She isn't going to let any of this go, and I don't blame her. She's been through pure hell these past couple of days. Last night, when we were in the elevator, I saw something in the reflection of her eyes.

A fleeting glimpse of her soul she's been hiding from me. She hasn't given me everything, like I have her, but that's changed. Alexis may have questions, she may get pissed the fuck off at the answers, but she isn't going anywhere.

We're one now.

We're the same.

She wanted Cain gone, just like I did. Just like every single person in that room last night did.

It's done now.

It's over, and after we leave this doctor's office, we'll all be able to move on.

Brennen comes inside, bringing in a frosty breeze. The room is empty. No one is here but the staff, and I've paid this man enough to make sure everyone stays quiet about this whole visit.

He sits across from me, one boot-covered ankle over his knee, smelling like smoke and hard work.

He doesn't say anything to me. I owe him nothing, but something urges me to let him know. If I were him, I'd want to be sure.

"It's done," I say quietly.

Brennen looks up at me, not reacting at first. But then, like he's accepted what is, he lifts his chin and nods.

After that, we don't speak. We sit together with only the soft hum of the whipping wind outside the door. We shift in our seats and pretend like we're reading a stupid magazine, and then finally the girls come out from the back. Lexi's wrists have been re-bandaged, but both of their faces look the same. Swollen, blue, and dark purple.

Claire darts her tongue out, feeling her busted lip. Brennen stands up. She looks at him before looking at me hesitantly. Like she's not sure she should say what she's about to with me here.

I rub the back of my neck, about to say that I'll be in the car. I'm feeling like an outsider among these three friends, but Claire speaks first. "I'm pregnant," she says, her attention back on Brennen.

My head jerks to Lexi who looks conflicted.

"What?" Brennen says. I can see the wheels spinning inside his head. Claire was just raped by Cain, but there's no way in hell she could be pregnant by him. These two have been sleeping together.

Lexi walks closer to me, and just the rub of her arm against mine calms my nerves.

I don't think she understands how much I need her.

Want her.

All of the time.

When I got home and she was gone, I was pissed. I almost broke my fucking phone, but then I found her note.

She'd left a heart, which did shit to me.

I'm crazy for the girl.

She looks up at me as Claire and Brennen stand, not saying a word.

And like the sun has broken free from the clouds, shining its light on so much darkness, Lexi smiles at me. Not all teeth, not soul-shattering, but just enough to assure me that this is all going to be all right.

Proving what I thought to be true. She's not going anywhere.