Day 3 - Sunday

Sehee's POV

          An aseptic smell and a severe headache woke me up. It took me moments to realize what had happened and where I was. Huijun, I thought. I jerked up from the bed and was surprised to see my mom sitting on the corner of the room. I looked around and realized that I was in the hospital.

          "Oh, thank God you're already awake. How are you feeling?" My mom said as she picked up a tray of food on the side table. "Eat, you need energy."

          "What happened, mom?" I asked.

          "You eat first then we'll talk."

          "Where's Huijun?" I said as if I didn't hear her. There are so many questions that I wanted answers to. The last thing I remembered was Huijun apologizing and then hurriedly running out the door.

          My mom sighed. "Isn't he the transfer student who, they say, always gets into trouble?" I hesitantly nod. I know where this is going. "What were you doing with him?"

          "We were trapped in the daycare." I answered, although I assumed she was already filled in with those details.

          "Together? Alone?" She was trying to maintain her calm.

          "Mom," I tried to explain. "It's not like we planned it. I didn't even know he was there with me at first." She looked really angry and worried but she didn't push it. "I want to know what happened. How did we end up here?"

          "The police called me," she started. Police? "They said you're in the hospital with a really high fever. I was really worried when I couldn't reach your phone for an entire day so when they called, I immediately came. When I arrived here, they filled me up with everything that had happened."

          "How did they know we were trapped in there?"

          "The fire alarm from the daycare went off." She continued. "Huijun pulled it. They thought it was really odd with the hurricane in but they went to check anyways and they saw you guys there." The fire alarm. Why didn't we thought of it sooner? "They are currently investigating what happened but it's the security guard who locked the gates who's at fault for not double checking."

          I was hesitant to ask where Huijun was but my mom saw through me and beat me to it. "His mom picked him up just this morning. They don't want to release him without a guardian so I let him stay here last night." I just nodded. Asking more questions about him might get her the wrong idea but my mom kept talking about him. "That boy doesn't talk much, does he?"

          "I don't know, mom." I said. "We aren't really that close."

          She was looking at me intently as if she was sensing something fishy but I didn't bother to ask why. Maybe she was just worried about my condition but my mom rarely looks at me like that. I remained silent as I took a spoonful of the porridge she gave me.

          "Make sure to give him a call and say that you're alright." She said. Maybe I looked too surprised because she smiled at me softly. "He looked really worried even though he hadn't say anything." When I didn't say anything, she continued, "and I think he's a nice guy, too. You could invite him to dinner sometimes so I could thank him properly."

          I was flabbergasted. I don't know what she's trying to do but this is really unusual that it's kind of scary. "Mom, I think you got the wrong idea."

          Her smile widened. "No. I think you still haven't realize the idea."

          "What?" I asked but she only smiled even more.

          "I'm still upset that you haven't been able to look after yourself well but what's done is done." She said. "Just make sure something like this won't ever happen again. Now finish all that food. You can be discharged this afternoon."

          She stood up and left me with all the food when I realized that I don't have Huijun's number.