Chapter 1

This chapter was written by quaintrelle!

"..You've had that owl for a long time, right?"

Margaretha almost feels bad for the personal question directed towards Eli. It's a testament to how little the two have been able to get to know each other, how Margaretha had carelessly gotten into something that took her away from family. In that house, with her 'husband', she only heard little of his exploits in the forest.

The large amount of differences between them make her stomach churn slightly. But she would rather have differences than similarities between them, if she were to be honest.

But Eli only smiles sweetly, giving a little nod as he offers a little snack to the owl. He only responds when satisfied. "Many years, Margaretha."

"How cute. They must really love and trust you." Margaretha feels like a stranger to her brother, simply saying those words.

"They do. I'm thankful for her, Margaretha. Popo protects you when you run, you know? When I can't."

Eli, unlike his sister, remains smiling. All Margaretha has on her face is a pensive look.

But Margaretha gathers enough courage to speak, eventually. "You shouldn't be so careless to send her away like that. It must be tough to watch her take the hit.."

"Oh, not at all." Eli interjects with a shake of his head, and it's enough to stop Margaretha from continuing her thoughts. "It's better the team than to save it for me. And.."

Eli faces Margaretha, and for the first time in a while, Margaretha doesn't feel like looking away.

"I get worried, you know? Especially when it's you. I don't like it when any of my friends get chaired and it's even worse when it's my sister. I lost you for so many years.."

For once, Margaretha is thankful for Eli's blindfold. She would not like to imagine his eyes conveying his emotions. But still her heart clenches with strong emotion, and without any grace she clutches onto her brother's sleeve.

"Don't worry about that. You're so slow, you know? Better me than you so.." Margaretha with all her might, uses her clutch to lead her brother elsewhere. "Mike nagged Norton about donuts again. We should get some more before everyone else finds out.."

To her relief, Eli chuckles, amused. "Maybe we should share them with everyone?" He gives no resistance to Margaretha, happy to follow her along.

"I'd rather not! Fortune favors the first!" Margaretha's nerves relax. She can join her brother in laughing, bringing them to the kitchen without any anxiety.

She tries not to think about the trials any longer. She'd rather dream of all the nice things.

But a specific nice dream brings the most peace to her mind. Her brother and his owl, enjoying doughnuts outside the manor. She thinks she can run for that dream, forever.