Chapter 7

Julia Sparks stood in front of the mirror in her quarters in the District Five floor.

She quietly rubbed off the harsh sparkly makeup that was applied to her skin for the chariot rides, and slipped out of the electrically sparkling suit, which's battery pack had slowly faded out.

Her empty dark, unwelcoming almond shaped eyes blinked in response to the mirror's flashing light, which was supposed to clean off anything she missed.

She combed out her waist length straight jet black hair, thankful that she was alone once again.

She plopped down on the dark red comforter and pulled up the soft down bedding all the way up to her soft chin.

Every time she closed her eyes, she saw her sister.
Like the mirror she was just looking in, her sister reflected her every movement, every feature.

The identical sisters had been by each other's side from the moment they were born, and now they had been separated, cut apart by the games.

The look Julia had gotten of her sister's face when she had volunteered, was one of loathing and guilt.
It wasn't impossible that she felt partially responsible for Julia's need to volunteer in her place. As it was, there was no way Julia would've ever let her sister, older by a few minutes, enter the games.

So she had taken her place, breaking the trust of the closest person to her.

They had promised each other long ago that they wouldn't volunteer for the other, but Julia broke it in two seconds.

Nonetheless, neither sister had said anything about their broken promise when they were scheduled to say their farewells, and she couldn't shake her sister's last words.
"Come back to me."

The words had held an edge to them, like they bore a threat, but her sister had squeezed her tight in an embrace before she was escorted out of the room.

Julia lay of the bed in the district five quarters again, the flashback having ceased for the time being.

Her eyes lay glued to the ceiling for who knows how many hours before she rose to her feet and whispered quietly into the mouthpiece which was to give her any edible product she wished for.

Soon enough a pill and glass of water appeared on the little silver table, and Julia quickly swallowed the sedative and immediately collapsed on the floor as the drug entered her blood stream.

---

Julia woke up in her bed again.

How she got there was a mystery, but she was glad that she hadn't slept on the floor, given the fact that it probably would've made her sore given the position she collapsed in.

She hadn't been expecting for the sedative to work that quickly.
Nor did she expect the pounding headache it left behind nor the parched tongue.

Julia stood up on her long gangly legs and hobbled over to the vast dresser, pulling out a blood red tunic dress that fell right above her knees, black fitting leggings, and a pair of boots for herself to wear.

As she got changed, she glanced in the mirror again, spotting dark circles under her almost completely black eyes, and her long hair was ratted in knots.

She placed her hand down on the vanity, making the calming veil of wind run down her scalp, gently untangling her now silky hair.

Julia quickly walked out to the main area, searching for her mentor.

Her mentor was her Aunt Wolfe Sparks, who was the mother of the other tribute from district five.

As the rules had discussed, the tributes being reaped were to be descended from the victor, but as Aunt Wolfe only had a son, the Capitol oh so kindly extended that to mean any relative of the victor will be reaped for these games.