OS: Yeh Shaadi Toh Aapko Karni Padegi

Mishti stood totally dumfounded as she was supposed to walk towards the altar of her wedding with Nishant. She always chided Abir for being so filmy, yet the lyrics of the Kuch Kuch Hota hai Song plagued her mind ever since her meeting with Abir the previous night:

Jaan-e-wafa hoke beqaraar,
Barson kiya maine intezar,
Par kabhi tuney nahin,
Ye tab kaha, jo ab kaha,
Dil bebasi mein chupke se rota hai,
Kya karoon haaye,
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

Last night, when the rasm of being awake the whole night was going on, Kuhu had somehow convinced her to meet Abir one last time, and close the chapter forever. How she wished that she had not met him and had got married to Nannu without knowing the truth; because the truth was not only harsh but also very shattering. If she suffered heartbreak, he was way more pathetic. His mother no doubt was a cruel lady. How dare she use Kunal as a bait against her and Abir’s union. But the bottom line was the fact that she had absolutely no option to either choose Abir or Nannu, because her bade papa had given her no option, but a final decision where Nannu was the only match. Mishti cried buckets, literally broken, but wrenching her heart she asked his forgiveness, and also the permission to move on... She was falling on her knees, and Abir caught her in time and sat with her on the ground of the familiar place of their dates and meetings from their courtship times, where last he had broken up with her...
“Abir, tumne itni deir kyu kar di? Kyu? Tum jaante ho, main tumse kitna pyaar karti thi, aur abhi bhi karti hoon... Kal meri shaadi ho jaayegi, toh pata nahi mera haq rahega bhi ke nahi ke main tumse aagey bhi pyaar karoon...” Mishti sobbed.
“Main akele hi tumse itna pyaar karunga ki tum na bhi karo, toh bhi chal jaayega...” Abir’s eyes tore with tears.
“Abir, ab kuch nahi ho sakta, bohot deir ho gayi hai... Main chaahke bhi Bade Papa- Badi Maa, Nannu, Jasmeet Aunty, baaki sab ghar walo ka dil nahi todd sakti... Main kya karoon Abir, Main kya karoon...” Mishti hugged his shoulder and cried her heart out.
“Mishti, mujhe bas ye lagta hai ki tumhein sach pata hona chahiye tha... Aagey tumhara faisla hoga...Aaj ke baad tum jo bhi faisla logi, jo bhi karogi; main tumse hi pyaar karta rahunga. Aur yeh mera sach hai.” Abir had assured her.
Mishti had finally collected herself and moved away from that place. Though she had no courage to get into her house with such a face, and thus she decided to sit under a tree in front of her house to clear her mind and cheer herself up to at least pretend before the family that “Everything’s awesome!” ... A small girl with a bunch of balloons came quietly to her handed her the balloons, wiping her tears, ran away... And Mishti was left with a bittersweet smile that Abir knows just when and how to make her smile. With that she had returned home, and readied herself to marry Nannu as her family wishes for her... Little did she know that at the final moment, her feet would refuse to drag, her mind would refuse to work, her eyes would refuse to stay dry and her lips would refuse to smile and instead droop into a pout, uttering nothing.

Mishti shook out of her stupor when she felt herself being dragged down the staircase to the altar right in the middle of the hall of Maheshwari Sadan. She looked shocked seeing an aggressive look on Nannu’s face... Amongst everything, things have come so low that she is being forcefully taken to her mandap... Well, when she had agreed to marry him, she should have walked down to the mandap... Why create a scene right before that... She looked apologetically at Nishant, and was about to move to her seat, when instead she was stopped in the middle of the hall, in a shocking halt... She and the rest of the family kept looking at them in total confusion, when he finally spoke-

“Abhi bhi kuch bologi, ya ghar walo ke haathon bali ki bakri banne ka decide hi kar liya hai tumne, Miss Teapot?”

“Nannu, ye tu kya bol raha hai...” Jasmeet looked shocked. She anyway was dreading any moment the marriage alliance to break due to Mishti.

“Main yahi bol raha hoon Mom, ki ye Mishti apne dil ki baat bolegi, ya Dadu ko khush karne ke liye, ye chup-chaap ek bin pyaar ki shaadi mein bandh jaayegi, aur saari zindagi uss insaan se khaamoshi se pyaar karti rahegi, jisne khud bhi khaamoshi se saari zindagi isse pyaar karne ka waada kiya hai... Tere liye hum hain jeeye honthon ko seeye... Bhai waah! Shahrukh Khan ki movie chal rahi hai kya? Arre haan! Chal toh rahi hai... KKHH na Mishti, jo tu London mein dekhti rehti thi... Bade-bade shehron mein choti choti baatein hoti rehti hain Senorita! Wali movie... Hai na?”

“Woh DDLJ thi Nishant!” Abir came out of the blue, and corrected him.

“Oh yes! Sorry Bro... Main tum logo jaisa film bug nahi hoon... Mujhe shaayari bhi nahi aati... Ghuma-phira ke baat bhi nahi karta hoon... See, try kiya tha aur miserably fail bhi ho gaya... Isi liye nahi karta main ye sab baatein...” Nishant spoke so coolly that it was impossible to detect that he was the same person who was having lines of anger and worry on his face a while ago...

Their camaraderie was broken by Vishambhar, who was absolutely serious and strict- “Aap itne besharam kaise ho sakte hain Abir... Humne kitni baar aapko mana kar diya yahan aane ke liye, aap ne bhi waada kiya tha ki aap ab kabhi bhi mishti ke saamne nahi aayenge... Phir bhi chale aaye, wo bhi uski shaadi ke din?”

“Dadu, aaj inhein maine bulaya hai... Mere insist karne par aaye hain Abir yahan...” Nishant clarified.

“Aapne? Ab kyu beta... Aap jaante hain ye sab Mishti ke liye waise hi kitna mushkil tha... Aur kyu kathin kar rahe hain aap beta?” Bade Papa asked.

“Kyuki, sach akele mujhe ya inn dono ko pata ho, aur aap sabko nahin, toh ye naainsaafi hogi... Kisi ne aaj tak Abir se poocha nahi ki wo Mishti ko itna pyaar karte they toh achanak ek zara si baat pe aise kaise naraz ho gaye ki apni shaadi se kuch din pehle hi rishta todd diya? Main samajhta hoon ki Abir ko aaj ek mauka milna hi chahiye ki aakhir usne jo kiya wo kyu kiya...” Nannu politely put his point forward.

Vishambhar Maheshwari shifted uncomfortably on his feet. His intuition said that the moment Abir will speak, he will justify his action, and his liking of this boy wouldn’t be able to stop him from forgiving him... And what will happen to this boy of his house, his grandson Nishant? If he can’t do injustice to Abir he can’t be unjust to Nishant as well... This is definitely going to be hard for him being the patriarch of the house.
Vishambhar’s intuitions were proving him right as Abir begun his side of the tale and as much he regretted the unfortunate turn of events, he felt a certain kind of despise for Meenakshi Rajvansh, who was a lady of such low conscience, and most of all he felt sorry for all the three kids who are in a triangle of this relationship... Shaurya ki Maa was so right when she said that he hasted in fixing Mishti’s marriage with Nishant... Now what should he be doing, he himself felt the fix for the first time, understanding the exact vulnerability of Mishti...

“Humein bohot afsos hai Abir beta, lekin hum samajh nahi paa rahe hain ki hum nyay karein toh kiske saath... Aapke saath nyaay karne ka sochte hain toh lagta hai ki Nishant ke saath anyaay ho raha hai, uski bhaavnaayein jaga ke hum usko beech majhdaar chodh denge, jab ki unki maa toh kabhi bhi iss rishte ke liye raazi nahi thi... Aur agar hum apni zubaan par kaayam rehte hain aur apne ghar ke bachhe ka saath dete hain, toh hum na sirf aapke saath anyaay karenge, balki apni beti ke saath bhi dhokha karenge... Unke jazbaat jaante hue bhi hum unko ek aise rishte mein baandh denge jahan uske paas nishant ko dene ke liye dosti se zyada kuch nahi hoga... Kyuki aapka sach jaanne ke baad toh wo kisi aur ko pyaar dene ke baare mein soch bhi nahi sakti... Aaj hum iss ghar ke bade hote hue bhi faisla nahi le paa rahe hain, hum toh jis taraf dekh rahe hain, khud ko aur humare rishton ko haara hua hi paa rahe hain... Koi humein ye bata de ki hum karein toh kya?” Vishambhar sat dejectedly on the nearby sofa, his head in the cup of his palms.

“Nahi Dadu, aap nahi haare hain, na aapke rishte haare hain...” Nishant sat on his hunches and held on to Vishambhar’s hands on his knees.