21 - Full Moon

!!! Mature Content!!!

I will make another announcement when the mature part will take place.

*****

Lounging on the sofa, I let my gaze drift to the lively dance of flames in the fireplace. My mind wandered, grappling with the current turmoil, searching for solutions. Yet, the thoughts were fleeting, unable to find a foothold in my restless mind. The room's quiet, punctuated only by the occasional crackle of burning wood, brought a sense of calm. Tonight was special - the night of the full moon, known among us as the mating night. It stirred a sense of anticipation within me, the thought of surrendering completely to Nath.

The concept of mating was familiar, yet its specifics remained a mystery to me. Typically, couples retreat into the seclusion of the forest, far from the eyes of the pack, to consummate their bond and mark one another. There's also this fascinating biological exchange that precedes the act, triggering what's known as a heat in females. This heat significantly boosts the chances of conception, lasting about one to two days for most, during which the couple engages in continuous intimacy.

Rosa hinted that our journey would be more complex, a thought that lingered until the abrupt noise of the door swinging open snapped me back to reality. Swiveling around, I saw Rosa, clad in a flowing white dress, grace the room.

"Hey there. How's everything holding up?" she inquired softly.

"Surprisingly calm," I replied, a tinge of anxiety lacing my words.

"When did Nathenel head out?" Rosa questioned, her eyes darting to the clock on the wall, a hint of nervousness in her glance. She eased down on the couch next to me.

"About an hour ago," I said, exhaling a weary sigh. Nath's prolonged absence gnawed at me; I understood his need to ensure the safety of our mating ritual, yet I yearned for his presence. He was as integral to this as I was, and it felt unjust to harbor any resentment for his duties. Rosa's hand gently enveloped mine, her grip firm and reassuring.

"Feeling anxious?" Rosa's voice cut through the silence, her question rhetorical as her eyes likely read the tension in my posture. I could only nod, biting my lip to quell the shivers threatening to overtake me.

"We should go over what to expect in the coming days," she began, her tone shifting to one of gravity as she inhaled deeply. My attention sharpened, eyes locked on hers, eager for guidance. "Nathenel is clear on his role, which eases my mind," she continued, pausing to clear her throat as a blush crept across my cheeks. His part in the ritual was no mystery to me.

"Firstly, he'll transfer his genes with a bite to your thigh. It's done this way to buy you time during the chase. Your task," she went on, her gaze holding mine, "is to lead the pursuit eastward, beyond the pack's territory, to a field of wild wheat. Your heat will be more intense than usual, potentially drawing dangerous attention, so we must avoid any conflicts, understand?" She paused, searching my face for comprehension. I nodded, still absorbing her words.

She hesitated, then continued, "I must warn you, the heat you'll experience will be both prolonged and intense, lasting through this moon and the next." She paused again, observing me closely. The weight of her words left me momentarily breathless, the reality of the upcoming challenge settling in.

Two full days of enduring the heat, two days entwined with Nathaniel. The thought alone was enough to make me wonder if I should have considered mobility aids for the aftermath. My mouth opened and closed, wordless, until I managed a nod.

"You're probably worried it might be too intense for you?" Rosa's voice was tinged with a teasing warmth, her smirk contrasting with my tomato-red blush. My eyes conveyed my apprehension as she reassured me, "You'll get through it. It's just two moons of-"