Test

Synopsis: Nine grew up with his mother for most of his life after his father left them to be with his childhood sweetheart, who happens to be a man. Ten years after, his mother introduced him to a man who's willing to replace the role of his father, but Nine thinks otherwise.

“How certain are you that you’re marrying a straight guy?”

Nine couldn’t keep track of the number of times he asked his mother about this. His mom went on several dates but he always disapproves of the guys, often comparing them to his father who happens to be gay. Her mom scolds him for being homophobic. Well, she couldn’t blame Nine. He had always idolized his father until he saw him kissing a man on his car. He was just eight years old and was easily traumatized. He was so ashamed of his father, he even tells everyone his dad had died a long time ago. Nine became antisocial. He would rather busy himself with a comic book rather than go out with his classmates, if they do not want to hear his rants all day. He thinks every guy is hiding something in their closet. His mom would always justify what his father did, she’s always like that- easy to forgive.

“Nine.. You’ll know when you meet him. He’s a good man.” His mom said with a smile while preparing their dinner. The man named Joong will come to meet him later and ask for his approval to marry his mom. How cheesy, but Nine is actually disgusted by the thought of it. He wants his mom to be happy, but how can he be sure this man’s not gay?

“Alright Mom, I’ll pretend I’m a good son then”, he forced a smile and helped his mom with the plates. He felt his mom’s hand tapping him on his back saying, “No need to pretend Nine, I know you’re a real good kid”, with a wink. They were almost done preparing when they hear a knock on the door. “That’s got to be him”, Nine’s mom hurried on the front door. A tall guy- way younger than his mother, he even looks younger than himself!  He was wearing eyelasses entered with a bunch of red roses on his arms. “Whoa, this guy knows how to play manly”, Nine thought to himself. But he won’t buy that.

“Nine come here.” His mom introduced them to each other. “Sawadee krab”, the guy named Joong said cheerfully. Nine did not say anything but he was forced to wai his mom’s lover. They had their dinner quietly. Nine felt awkward and he asked to leave the dining room first. He was not at ease with a guy’s presence. He doesn’t want to act rude in front of his mother so he had to play safe. He brought his guitar and went outside. He’s not really good at playing yet. He had seen some tutorial videos on the internet and had to self-study. This time he’s trying to do the basic song for guitar beginners. Nine did this so he won’t get bored staying at home alone, which was always the case. He’s bored but he can’t stay close to his friends. He can’t always be with the girls cos they might think he’s gay. And he can’t be with the boys because he was afraid one of them will turn out to be gay, much worse if they like him. “Yuch”, Nine cringed.

“What’s the matter?”, Joong asked him while he’s trying to play on his guitar. His “future father” sat beside him and check on his fingers, “Are you trying to play B?”, Joong held his fingers to the right placement. Nine can’t hide his shock he almost falls out from where he’s sitting. Joong’s face went blank. “Did I scare you?”. Nine shake his head and went on his guitar. He’s still planning on how he would prove this guy’s sexual identity but here he is trying to seduce him. He must tell his mother. He won’t allow another gay in the family. Before he could stand up Joong had reached for his guitar grinning, “Here, let me play that song for you.” Joong started to pluck on the strings as his beautiful melody come along. Surely, this guy has a talent in music. Nine observed Joong’s fingers trying to look for traces of gayness on them. “So far, so good- at faking”, Nine thought to himself. Plus he looks really young and.. handsome.

The night had passed and he never said a word to Joong. He originally wanted to seduce him so he’ll give in and realize he’s not right for his mother. But this guy’s giving him a hard time. He saw Joong wiping his mom’s forehead while she was washing the dishes. He heard them talking about an out of the country vacation after their wedding. He felt like they both want him to hear their conversation. Man, they are talking so loud it pisses him off. Nine wants his mom to be happy, but he couldn’t get rid of the thought that somehow this guy’s going to leave her again, just like what his dad did. Surely, this guy just wanted money from his mom, or worse, he is bent. He decided to put him on a test, and it wouldn’t be easy.