89

BlackPink's Lee Kwang gives exclusive interview for Marie Claire +reveals why she decided to open her own agency and the treatment she recived while she was under YG Entertainment

In a rare interview for Marie Claire Korea Lee Kwang opened up about her relationship with the BlackPink members and the way YG Entertainment treated all their exclusive artists.
"It was horrible. When I first got into the agency everybody bullied me and all the foreign trainees. They called me everything you can imagine and it was very hard for me since that I could barely speak korean. Every month and even before our debut they would measure our weight and height. I still remember that a few months before our debut they wanted me out of group because I was to tall and apparently not asian enough. They even said that I should get plastic surgery to look more asian. I was completly terrified. Every day I would look into the mirror and ask myself, why am I like this?, why can I not be skinnier or look more korean. When we finally made our debut I was really happy, I was so happy to be debuting with my best friends that I had known for such a long time that they quickly became my sisters, my anchors. I couldn't believe how popular we got only a few days after our debut, and of course we received lots of mixed comments. 'Why is that caucasian girl debuting in a asian group', 'why is she so ugly', etc. I tried not to mind such comments, but at the same time I couldn't. I lost a lot of weight after our first comeback. I wanted to prove everybody that I could too be skinny, be perfect. We were in the middle of 2017 when our agency said 'We decided that BlackPink will only have one comeback per year and in the mean time the members would exclusively promote fashion and makeup brands. In that day we were crushed. I remember that me and Jisoo were crying for hours, we trained for so many years, we had to sacrifice everything to chase a dream, and after some words, those dreams that we worked so hard in chasing were crushed. It was around that time that I was feeling more alone and alone as the time was passing. The girls were busy, I was busy, yet I was more alone than anything. I wanted to leave the agency, but I couldn't due to my contract. My contract was shorter than the other members, because, unlike them, I was dispensible. They could eliminate me anytime they wanted. That was it for me. 2019 came to an end and so was my contract with YG. I left the agency to treat my depression and to start fresh. I reunited with my closest friends and discussed with them the possibility of creating my own agency. A agency who would be totally different, who would give it's artist everything I never had when I was a trainee and an idol. They supported my decision 100%, and BeYou Entertainment was created. My first mission was to get my girls back. I talked with Jisoo first and then with thd other members and they quickly accepted my offer. I was over the moon. We would finally be free. No more restrictions, no more rules".
The interview quickly became a hot topic on Twitter with the fans demanding YG's exit from the entertainment industry.

-Article by jonghyunisanangel