Prologue

Blood covered Dave's jacket, now ripped to shreds. The only light the three boys had was Adam's torch, which was currently flickering to its death. Dave grasp on John's hand tightened with fear and uncertainty, not sure if any of them was gonna make it out of the attack alive. There was no sound around them, only their distressed gasps for air.

A loud crash came from the air, and the forest around them erupted into flames. Dave screamed in fear and John motioned the teen behind him. Both Adam and John held onto their amulets,but no light came out of them, they were completely drained of whatever power they had before. Adam stood there, baffled, but shot a glance of fear at John. "We need to get Dave out of here."

A tree crashed down, separating the two boys. Dave let out a wail, tears now streaming down his face. He didn't want to lose anyone else, he had already seen the others go. Mitch, Robert, Tyler...he didn't want to lose the last people he had left.

John shot Adam a fearful look. "We're getting out of here together, just get around-"

A white light came from the other side of the burning tree. John knew that light, but knew it wasn't his. This was a goodbye, one he didn't want to do. His heart ached.

Adam faced his mirrored self, as a bright glow of yellow came out of its hands. Knowing there was no place to go, he held onto his dead amulet. "Goodbye, my love." Was all he said before he ran up to his shadow and slammed it into the fire, burnin it with him.

John and Dave didn't spend anymore time there, they just ran. The fire followed them effortlessly, beating them to their destination. When they got to their base, everything was in flames. Their home, their memories, gone.

"The key!" John screamed, letting go of Dave's hand to rush into the heat of the burning houses. Dave ran after him, but was halted by a large, shadowy figure. It hunched over him. It was muscular and terrifying, blood dripped from it's mouth and a crown of thorns was topped onto its translucent body. It was outlined in white and grabbed onto the teenager, who used what little power he had to get away from it.

The thing didn't do anything to Dave, but just made him stare into the fires. It was so bright, so hot. He wanted to get John and get out, to get to the stream. He saw John running out, the red key in his hand, the only one they had found, but the joy didn't last long.

The building exploded, and Dave watched as the only father figure he had ever had got ripped apart and drowned into the flames.

Dave screamed. He tried to get away. Tears covered his face. He lost. He couldn't get out of the things grip. Everything was over. Everyone was dead. Nothing. There was only nothing.

The flames continued to surround Dave. The shadow thing crouched down to Dave's height and smiled. The smile was utterly terrifying, making Dave shiver in fear.

It's eyes went bright red. "You can't run from your nightmares, kid." Was all it said before it let Dave go, who turned and ran as fast as he could until he couldn't no more and blacked out.