0

So, this is the third book in the "Second Life" series. Needless to say, you should probably read "The Second Life - Fatal" and "The Second Life - Battle of Manhattan" before proceeding with this book.

In my bio, there's a link to a Spotify playlist curated for this story. If you like background music while you read, check it out!

    Dark and disturbing content is ahead, so viewer discretion is advised

Dark and disturbing content is ahead, so viewer discretion is advised. Constructive Criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

Okay. Let's go.

~ the day of the collapse ~

- C H U N I -

"We've done it!" I yell joyfully. Colt looks over from the other side of the room. "They're going to launch!"

"You're certain?" He asks with an air of caution in his voice.

"US Command just received the order," I confirm. "We've already won, Colt!"

He looks at me, a massive smile forming on his face. "WE'RE GOING TO SAVE THE FUCKING WORLD, CHUNI!"

"YEAH!" I scream joyfully, high-fiving him at what feels like the speed of sound. This is it- the US would try and zombify North Korea. How foolish can a nation be? How deranged can the present become?

Pyongyang thinks Colt and I will remain loyal to their nationalistic cause, though they're incredibly wrong. Something bigger than them will soon be upon the world- it's time to act. Humanity, and the industrialization coming from it, are ruining the planet. To solve the problem, the root cause must be dealt with.

An explosion shakes our Manhattan Safehouse, sending a glass mug of coffee to the floor. This was it; we were going to save the world.

"Remember the plan," Colt begins. "I'll head to Central Park. You make it to the Sanctuary. You've picked up the Chaho Device, correct?"

"Correct," I smirk, holding the machine. "You disabled the Replicator Machine?"

"Yes," he smiles. "Would you like to do the honors with our test subject?"

"Gladly," I laugh, opening the safe. Colt grabs his MK11 while I load my AR15. Holding my karambit, I open the door to the subject. The crimson glow from its veins is the only light in the dilapidated cell. It screeches as its hand covers its face, avoiding the sunshine. The knife sinks into its skull before falling over lifeless.

"Alright," Colt says. "Pandemonium is starting in the streets. It's time the world reaches meridian."

~ three months later ~

Aubrey, Cross, Nikita, and I look on as Colt's body falls from the flaming skyscraper. Aubrey covers her mouth, seeing this senseless tragedy immediately affecting her. Cross' emotions are harder to decipher; his eyes stared as his face showed no emotion.

In my eyes, this is necessary. Battery, with its twisted logic, only helps me realize the planet's future. Colt and I debated heavily on how to actualize our goals in the weeks leading up to this. His method of assimilating the city before eventually exposing all to the sickos was archaic and unwise. He refused to use the Chaho Device.

"Guys," I state, looking at the three. "We need to leave. Now."

"It's over, isn't it?" Cross mutters. "Battery's going to kill us."

"Not if we escape first," I point out. "We need to go."

Cross helps to pull Aubrey along as we rush to the headquarters. Inside the board room, where the circle members met, was where Colt and I had hidden the Chaho Device. Opening the floor hatch, it unsurprisingly shows itself. Picking it up, I look back to Cross and Aubrey, who looks confused.

"Grab as much food and water as you can," I command. "I'll explain everything later. For now, we continue the fight from the shadows."