Prologue

The young girl, hand pressed firmly on the wall, looked on at the broken corpses of her fond memories scattered along the crimson walls in a deadlocked state. The cardinal-colored liquid moved in a slow manner down the wall, rolling into the hand-sculptured embellishments and pooling at the bottom around the inanimate people she once called family. At that time, she heard a noise coming from the wall, a part where most of the corpses now lay. She cautiously made her way over a newly formed crack in the wall. With all her might, she pulled the cracked cobblestone and to her shock and delight, the stone that was standing in her way tumbled to the grassy ground on the other side. Her eyes streamed with tears of joy as she looked on at the natural skylight of the outside world. Taking it all in, the young and small girl reached her hand out, grabbing at anything though there was nothing to grab. At that same moment, footsteps could be heard behind her. Her hand was still extended, and her eyes were littered with visible fear as the footsteps seemingly drew near. Almost completely paralyzed with fear for her life, the small, young, and broken girl turned her head and looked up. 

______

Moving swiftly along the scorching sand, the man ran away from the disastrous scene unfolding behind him. Protective carrying his baby girl, he made his move away from the rubbled town. As he moved, sand and stones were kicked and flew everywhere, though he kept moving as the screams of his friends and family around him grew distant. It fell again, as it had down before, coming to claim more innocent lives. As it did, debris was tossed into the air and the noises were deafening. All the man could hear was the shrieks of terror of the child he carried with him. Moving at a dying speed, a chuck of broken wood was flung at him and his child. As the debris hit the man smack in the head, the child was thrown into the air and landed on the hot sand. The last thing the man would ever hear was the whimpering sound of his child, the one he vowed to protect as a promise to his dying wife, now merciful in the hand of cruel people, as she called out in a shaking and frightened voice: "Dada?..." 

______