Prologue

"Bring him inside," Lord Pluto ordered. Cerberus growled, his eyes turning red. The chained demon was brought, guarded by no one. 

"Barbatos, you had a plea. Speak," Demogorgon said. It was him who had brought this lesser demon to the God of Death. He had tried hard for decades, before the Lord finally agreed to give the demon's plea a chance. 

"My Lord, I want to go on Earth once again. I want to unleash terror once again. The task which I failed, I want to fulfill that task. I want to be redeemed to my previous position as the commander of thirty legions. I want to be with the four kings again. I want-" The Lord raised a hand, stopping the demon mid-sentence.

"You are not here to list your wants, demon. You are here to tell me how will you going back  to Earth help the Underworld. I want you to be quick." 

The Lord never meddled in demon affairs, so this must be an important demon for the Lord to even consider entertaining the matter. Proserpina was not here, gone to spend six months with her mother, Ceres. The Lord had been considerably angrier lately, and Barbatos knew it.

"My Lord, unleashing terror would mean that the Captoline Hill will be disturbed. They will be willing to anything you wish to save the mortals," said Barbatos, even though he knew that unless the Lord let the dead out, that couldn't happen. 

The Lord sat silently for a moment, before declaring the demon's fate.

"Barbatos, you get a month, just a month, to send us the proof of your ability. If by that time, what you promise doesn't happen, you will be banished for good this time." The Lord stood up, declaring the meeting to be finished. He disappeared into a wisp of darkness, his key and sceptre going with him, while Cerberus went to guarding the gates.

"Open his chains," Demogorgon ordered. Barbatos smiled as his shackles fell to the floor, and assumed his normal form.

Demogorgon stepped down and walked out of the hall. On his way, he stopped to whisper a warning to Barbatos.

"Choose the most evil one you can find, so its easier to control." He then strode off, as if nothing happened.

***