(23) 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘪𝘨𝘨𝘦𝘳, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳

A/N

HOLY MOTHER OF SWEET JOE MAZZELLO, I am so sorry I left you all waiting for so long! Please bare with me, I've been struggling with some sobriety issues the last month but I'm back on track!

Please stick around! I'm so excited for what I have planned for this story and you are NOT going to want to miss it!

Anyway, enjoy, lovies xoxo

-------

I tried my best to listen to Professor Ross, but nothing seemed to come out of his quickly moving mouth. It was just a dull murmur – a sound I couldn't really comprehend and manipulate into a sentence that made actual sense. I doubt what he was saying was anything that could be of any use to me as we were supposed to be going over past notes and lectures in preparation for the exams after the Christmas break. I'd done this before, where I would pay very little attention to the revision lectures and ensure myself that I'd revise at the flat, which I always abided by. Only, this time, the flat would not be the sanctuary of my studies.

The earliest memories I have of revising at home was for my A Levels at college, which was a good few years before I even started university at Imperial. I did get decent grades in my A Levels, but the entire revision fiasco was just pure hell. I'm sure you've all had the schtick from your loved ones about 'hard work pays off' etc... But when that hard work is forced hard work, it doesn't pay off. The thrill of learning was taken away from me when I was 18, the year I finished college. My dad made out a revision schedule for me and my mum was the one to make sure I was doing it. I remember feeling trapped in my own home, staying hours after college and getting the latest train possible back to my town. It was like I was back at high school, everything under regulation and strict rules. I didn't want to go back to that for my degree.

But there I was, sat next to Emma and slumped over my desk, chin resting in the palm of my hand and my elbow rested on the hard wood. I traced the end of my pen across my lips as some sort of relaxation, but it did nothing of the sort. I did let my eyes glance at my notes, but it was nothing but a jumbled-up cluster of unfamiliar symbols. I could hear the discreet scratch of Emma's pen on her own paper, most likely frantically catching up on notes she'd not yet written down due to her busy schedule. By busy schedule, I mean being pounded into a mattress twice a day at Sinclair Road. Or at the flat. Depending on how she felt.

"Are you ok?" Came a familiar accent from the left of me, and it was what I needed to snap me out of my trance. I turned my head to see a concerned looking Albert.

"Not really." I admitted with a sigh. I'd told Albert about my situation whilst we were waiting for Professor Ross to show, and he found it difficult to understand, having a pretty much perfect life. That's not me being salty, by the way, the idea of having a stable relationship with your parents and a relatively calm home life is just completely foreign to me.

"But I'll be okay. It's only two weeks." I convinced myself, repeating Brian's words.

The rest of the lecture seemed to last forever, everything still being so unclear and ominous to me. I was just thinking about the what-ifs and all the outcomes from going up North for such a short period of time.

Trust me, my mum and dad... Can be brutal.

I found myself wandering around alone after the lecture had finally finished. Emma had left to go see Roger, instead of coming with me and studying with me like our Thursday tradition went. I didn't really have any other friends, and Brian... I knew Brian was working really hard on his thesis for his PhD and I didn't want to disturb him. Besides, I don't even think I was allowed in the lab whilst students were working. So, I came to my last resort, besides sitting in the library and crying for two hours – Freddie.