Part 2 (Chapter Six-Chapter Eleven)

Chapter Six

The Meeting

“Your friend in quite the character,” I said, breaking the silence that had encompassed the room after Collin’s less than magnificent exit.

“Yes, I apologize for him.  He is mostly harmless.  I’m sorry he invited me to stay.  I will leave you to your meal and come back later to take you to the meeting in the conference room.”  Nathan turned, but for some reason, I wanted him to stay.

“Nathan, wait,” I said.  He turned back to look at me, his endless blue eyes drowning all the thoughts in my head.  “If you did stay and join me for dinner, I wouldn’t object.  I could use some company.  Besides, I don’t eat that much, and from Collin’s comment I take it you have not eaten either?”

“I haven’t.”  He looked between me and the door trying to decide if having dinner with me was appropriate.

“Listen, Nathan, it is just food.  It’s not a date or anything.”  His eyes widened after I said the word date, but then relaxed.  He was defeated and I had won.

“Okay, fine, I guess I could eat.”  He sat down on the couch and put the bag of food on the coffee table.  He pulled out two steaming bowls.  “The cafeteria decided to make chicken and rice for dinner tonight thanks to your food donation.  There should be silverware in the drawers in the kitchen.

It took some searching, but I found Nathan and me something to eat with.  I sat down on the couch next to him, but far enough away that it wouldn’t be awkward.  Nathan began to dish out the food, a perfect gentleman.  I noticed that he had also pulled to bottles of water out the the food bag as well.

“Were those from my water bottle stash, too?” I asked playfully.

“Not these ones, but the kitchen was very thankful for your donation.  The ladies there already love you.”

“Well, the feeling is mutual,” I said, taking another bit of the meal Nathan had brought for me, “this chicken is amazing.”

Nathan’s eyes glanced in my direction and I saw them twinkle briefly before the light died out.  “The women that cook here don’t have to make much at a time.  Most of the people that work on base live in town.  Very few people live in the dorms.”

“Which is why you were able to find me a room on such short notice?”

“That and you are a high priority right now.”

“I’m what?” I said a bit too loudly.  Nathan startled and then looked guilty, like he had said something he wasn’t supposed to.

“I shouldn’t have told you that.  Just forget I told you anything.  They will explain everything to you at the debriefing meeting.”  With that, Nathan resumed his role as the boy who never spoke and we sat in awkward silence as we finished our meal.

After what seemed like an eternity of not talking, Nathan spoke.  “We should be going.  The meeting is in ten minutes.”  He opened the door and ushered me out.  I made a mental note of my room number, 3B, and tried to memorize the route from my room to the conference room.  While we walked, I decided to engage Nathan in conversation, but I didn’t know what to say.  How did a person start a conversation with a functional mute?  But, I wanted answers, and answers were more important than Nathan’s dislike of the spoken word.

“Hey, Nathan…” I began.

“Sorry about that comment earlier.  I don’t know why I told you that.”

He really did look apologetic, but I wasn’t going to let the subject drop that easily, and I told him as much.  “If you think I’m just going to roll over and accept your apology, you don’t know me at all.  I mean, yes, you really don’t know me, but just so you know, I am extremely stubborn when I want something.”