Brain Vs. Brawn

"You there?"

"Yeah, I'm here."

It takes a long time for him to get the phone in his hand. That's mostly because of the concussion, and he feels a bit weak. A beating always wore him out.

"Good. We got him."

He was excited to deliver the news. Clients happy, he's happy, but he has to figure out a quick story to give to his wife. She hasn't seen him like this in a long while. She always gets queasy at the sight of blood. That's the only thing that surprised him; he wasn't expected so much blood. He can probably get it cleaned up well before she gets home, but it is disappointing.

It does suck getting old.

#

"You're so funny."

Chuck doesn't know how he got here. He's getting coffee with a beautiful woman, 10 years his senior, who's engaged with him. She knows so little, so it's not like she's in it for the money. Besides, dressed in cheap clothes he ordered online, no jewelry, and nothing in front of him but a drip coffee, he couldn't prove he has any. He would never bring out the duffle bags full of blue bills, flaunting his stockpile of wealth, but he would always know he is taken care of. It was his reward for living a hard life.

He's glad that's over.

"I'm not that funny."

"You are. You really are. Tell me—how long have you been stalking me at work?"

His face warms. He looks down at his coffee and doesn't speak. She laughs.

"I'm kidding."

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to think I'm stalking you."

"Well, I did notice you when you first came in."

She was being honest. It's really hard to miss at 6'7" man, build like he could carry the world on his shoulders. He comes in everyday, ordering the same singular drip coffee. He's always alone, and leaves after an hour.

"Plus, you never stopped coming in."

"The coffee's really good."

"I put a lot of work into it."

"I can tell."

"No way­— I don't even do anything. It's drip coffee."

"I'm serious. I can tell when someone else makes it. It's not as strong."

"I'm a pretty strong woman."

"I can tell."

She like how sweet he is. He hasn't stopped looking at her since they sat down. She does recognize why, because she's gorgeous, but she hasn't held a man's attention this well, since...ever. He's really into her, and he's not afraid to show it.

"Are you sure this is okay? I don't want to bother you."

"It's okay. I clocked out."

"Oh, good. Please, let me know if I'm bothering you, ma'am."

"Sarah."

"Sorry, Sarah."

Chuck doesn't want to think of this as a first day. It's foolish, but Chuck has always considered himself a fool. He bought her coffee, even after she insisted on using her discount. He clarifies it being the act, not the actual cost. He wanted to show her a little gratitude, even if the coffee is a bit expensive. She felt the kindness.

They had more dates like this, but soon the dates left the café. They ventured to dinners, diners, movies, and nights under the moon. They took time to learn about each other, and give him a chance to re-explore the city he grew up in. She showed him how it changed, and he took her to old places that were still around. They both embarrassed the other of how much they enjoyed the company.