Chapter 1

*Troye’s P.O.V.*

When you speak your first words as a child, no one cares about what you say. Yeah, it might go in this over-rated book that you’ll never look at again after you turn 1, but as long as you have spoken everyone is excited. That’s sort of what it felt like on the first day. The first day of school of course. No one cared about what you did or where you ended up. Everyone was worrying about themselves. But ever since that first day, the amount that people cared escalated in a very quickly. If you changed friend groups between day 1 and day 2, you were sure to end up with no friends in the end due to the unwanted friend-group-jumping persona you had. It wasn’t until the second day that I realized I completely and utterly unwanted from the very beginning.

It was about twenty minutes until study hall started and “Get out of the way!” was a phrase that I had already heard countless times today. It wasn’t even studyhall and I was already being shunned. My friends from last year had all split off and easily joined another friend group without even a look in my direction. I had more trouble with this “simple” task, seeing that everybody only offered me shoves and glares. Multiple times today I tried to engage in smalltalk with people who I had somewhat known last year. Every single attempt had failed, either ending with them straight up ignore me or whispering one word sentences, and turning to face the opposite direction, shutting me out in under ten seconds of interaction.

“Hello! You should really consider joining the Ski Club! It’s a great way to make new friends and enjoy outside activities!” some freshman girl beams at me. All I do is stand there and stare at her. I can tell by her body language that she’s the kind of over-bubbly-and-annoying type of person. She stands there waiting me to reply as her bubbly mood starts to fade a bit into a more sheltered persona. About thirty seconds later, she gives up on me, shoving a piece of paper at me chest and running off to annoy yet another highschooler.

“Hey Troye! How was your summer break?” I feel a hand land on my shoulder as I turn around to face the person talking to me. My eyes flick up from staring at my shoes and I recognize my favorite teacher, Mr. Becker, smiling down at me. I can feel the pressure in my chest lighten, as I know that he wouldn’t let anyone hurt me.

“Hey Mr. Becker! My break was good, I guess. All I did was sit on my laptop.” he rolls his eyes at my reply and then look down at the paper in my hands. I had almost forgot I was holding until it almost slipped out from my grasp as my grip on it released a bit.

“Thinking about joining Ski Club?” he raises one eyebrow, questioningly. Mr. Becker knows I couldn’t do any physical activities to save my life. He laughed at his own joke and then nods towards the clock, knowing the bell would ring in less than five minutes. “Anyways, I’ve got to go. I have to get working on my First Day Speech. Goodbye.”

It was then that I realized I had only one friend and it was Mr. Becker. I really needed to work on my expectations if I didn’t want to have my only friend be a teacher. That would definitely be the end of all of my chances I had to make any friends at all.

I balled up the paper in my hands and flicked it at the trash can across the hall. It fell inside of the container without a sound. All I could think about is how that would be me soon if I didn’t try harder to meet new people. Tossed up and thrown away without a sound or a second thought.

Stop Troye. That’s not going to happen. Get your lazy ass up and go make some friends. Today’s pretty much the only chance you get. Go.