Rio

Prologue   

Prologue 

 Mia was in the middle of making dinner when the doorbell rang. Looking at the clock over the oven, she realized it was too early for Cameron to be back, so she assumed it was probably just a package or a girl's scout going apartment to apartment selling cookies.

   After quickly washing her hands, Mia unlocked and opened the door by the second ringing of the doorbell. However, it wasn't a girl's scout waiting for her on the other side, it was a man with a very evident neck tattoo.

   "Um, can I help you?" She said.

   "Maybe," he looked her up and down. "Is Cameron home?"

   "No, not yet, but he should be soon. Are you a friend or...?"

   "Yeah, you could say that," the man said.

   "Well, you're more than welcome to come inside and wait for him to come back," Mia said, stepping aside to let the man in. She didn't mind the company, she was used to it. Cameron had people over all the time now that he was crashing at her place for a bit until he figured things out. The man walked in, looking around her apartment as he took a seat at the dining table near the door.

   "Can I get you something to drink?" Mia said, walking back to the kitchen to continue cooking. 

   "Water would be great."

   "Sure," she poured him a glass from the tap and walked over to place it down next to him.

   As she did, he carefully looked at her. "So, you his girlfriend or something?"

   Mia literally gagged on her way back to the stove. "No, gross. I'm Mia, his sister."

   "No shit," the man smiled. "Cameron's never mentioned you."

   "Sounds about right."

   "You know," he slid the water towards him. "I went over to his old place but it was cleaned out."

   "Well, if you know Cameron then you know he's not good with money."

   "Yeah," the man nodded. "I'm starting to catch on."

   "I think he blew all his cash on that new car of his. He couldn't pay rent so I'm letting him crash here for a while," she rolled her eyes. "But he probably already told you that."

   "Nope, never mentioned it."

   She furrowed her eyebrows. "Then how did you know to find him here?"

   Suddenly, the door opened and Cameron walked in, freezing in place at the sight of the man at the dining table.

   "You good, Cam?" Mia laughed at the strange look on his face.

   "Yeah, you good?" the man said, finishing his water. "Come, sit down. I've been waiting."

   Cameron reluctantly closed the door behind him and stared at the man, his complexion growing pale making Mia nervous. Something wasn't right here. 

   "Mia," the man, Rio, said, turning his head in her direction. "Do you smell a rotten egg?"

   She looked in between the two, her stomach sinking to the ground. "No."

   "Rio, listen, I'll get you your cash just-" Cameron began.

   "What?" Rio interjected. "Give you more time? Nah, doesn't work that way."

   "What's going on?" Mia said, looking at her brother who refused to meet her eyes.

   "It's a funny story," Rio said. "Tell her, Cameron." 

   Cameron just kept his mouth shut and his eyes on the ground. 

   "No? Alright, I will," Rio said, taking a gold gun out from underneath his waistband and placing it onto the table. Mia almost screamed at the sight of it, but held it in, afraid of what he might do. "Your brother here did a job for me. I gave him a lot of money to wash, but I didn't get all of it back. You see, Cameron here thought he could mix in some of my own cash with the clean cash and thought I wouldn't notice. Funny right? Yeah, now I'm here to collect."

   "I don't have your cash right now," Cameron said, looking past the glare his sister was giving him.

   "You spend it on that car of yours?"

   "Some of it."

   "What about the rest?"

   "Gambling," Cameron swallowed. "Just give me a few days and I'll get your money back. Or give me another job and I'll give you my cut."

   "Your cut," Rio chuckled. "Again, doesn't work that way."

   "Is there nothing he can do to pay it off?" Mia said. 

   Rio looked at her, nodding his head while his eyes looked understanding of their situation, sympathetic even. "Yeah, there is," he took the gun and pointed it right at Cameron's head. "He could apologize."

   Cameron let out a whimper before breaking down. "I'm sorry I took your money. Just give me another chance, please. I promise I'll pay it back."

   "Hm, not good enough," Rio shook his head and cocked the gun. Cameron closed his eyes, ready to bite the bullet. 

   "Is there anything I can do?!" Mia said. 

   Rio looked at her for a moment, thinking about something before lowering the gun. "Yeah, there is. I have a job for you."

   "Mia, don't," Cameron said.

   "Will it be enough to pay you back?" she asked. 

   "Just about," Rio said. 

   "And you'll let Cameron live?"

   "You don't know what you're getting yourself involved in!" Cameron exclaimed.

   "Sure," Rio shrugged.

   "Then I'll do it, whatever it is."