Cottage in the Woods

ENJOY! Let me know what you think :D - Allie.

.

Willem's sickness had only gotten worse since he received the news that his daughter had fled the kingdom with a prisoner. He'd sent people to go after her, find her, and bring her back, but it had been almost two weeks and the missing princess still hadn't been found. Prince Kavan and his retinue had cancelled the wedding and returned to Attwell, and the King of Attwell had been furious. He had broken the alliance with the North and declared to cancel military aid and political support when Isolde was to be at war again. Never had Willem thought his dynasty would crumble because of a woman, but now he was starting to believe in the prophecy.

Could Madam Maggie be right when she said the faith of his kingdom was entirely in the hands of his only daughter? Everything had gone wrong since she left, and if she didn't come back, if there was no wedding, if Egon became King, then Willem would lose it all. He had failed to be a husband and a father, and he might fail to be a king, too.

This morning when he woke up, the sky was grey. The castle was engulfed in dark clouds and the snow was falling so hard and thick that he could only see a white grey snow curtain when looking out of the window from his sickbed. Another storm was coming, one he had expected for a really long time.

"Josephine is here, Your Majesty."

"Send her in."

The guard opened the door for Jo to come in. She kept her head down and stayed close to the entrance as the door shut behind her.

"You asked for me, Your Majesty?"

"Come closer," Willem said, his voice was low and unsteady. Jo hesitated before walking towards him to stand at the foot of his bed and only looked up when she'd been given permission.

Willem had only allowed his subjects to see him when he was well, so when Jo was requested to come to his chamber, she thought there had been a mistake. But there he was right in front of her, white as a corpse, nothing but skin and bones. Most of his hair had fallen out and there were more wrinkles on his face than she could recall. He was dying, and he knew it.

"Jo."

"Yes, my lord?" Jo walked around the bed to stand beside him. Willem coughed while struggling to open his eyes.

"I asked to see you because you are the closest to my daughter. Did she tell you where she was headed?"

"No, my lord. Reyn--Um...Princess Reyna...didn't tell me that she was going to run away, but my guess is that she's heading to Theros."

"To see Edgar?"

"I think so, my lord. She had always talked about how much she missed her uncle."

Willem gave a low "hmm" and asked no more questions as he lifted his shaky finger and pointed to the desk facing his bed. "Bring me that envelope."

Jo hastened to get the white envelope with the red royal seal and bring it to the King.

"Keep it," he said, pushing it back into her hands. "Give it to Reyna. I might not be here when she returns and I need her to read this..."

"Your Majesty--"

"It's all right, my child. Everyone has their own time." Willem flashed a weak smile at the distressed maid. "I couldn't love her the way she wanted me to. But I know you did. And if you still do, please look after her."

Just as Jo opened her mouth to respond, a guard walked in and she hurriedly hid the letter behind her back.

"Prince Egon has arrived, Your Majesty."