Chapter 11: Incandescent

“I can’t promise you very much. The fragile side of love is the only side there is; but I promise I will love you until I stop loving you. And when that happens, I’ll start again.” –Salma. D

It was during third period when I started to get a headache. I was in the middle of calculus when pain suddenly started throbbing in my forehead, and every minute or so, it would be like a painful stab to the forehead, causing me to wince. All my table mates had noticed and suggested that I go to the office, but I told them I was okay, because really, I was.

"Haruka!" Mrs. Mano barked. "Go to the office right now or I'll kick you out myself."

My pencil falls from my hand. "Wh-wha--"

Mrs. Mano glares at me. "Do you think I'm stupid? You're not feeling well. Office. Now."

I felt horrible as some of my table mates started to laugh a little, because it was the same thing they had told me before, only that it was coming from higher authority.

"I'm fine, really..." I say weakly.

"If you're not feeling well in my class, you won't be able to focus. Office. And tell the front desk to phone your father."

"I--"

"Lily, take her to the office."

~ ~

Lily runs straight up the front-desk receiver and tells her my problem. The woman at the front desk only sends me a momentary glance and Lily nods to me.

"Feel better." Lily says softly as she exits out the door.

It's silent for a little.

"Haruka Kamiya, correct?" The woman asks and I bob my head.

"Would you like me to contact your--"

"No." I shake my head. "I can walk home myself."

Or I can just go back to class, I think.

"My dear, you look too pale to be walking home. You're more than welcome to--"

"It's fine." I cut her off. "I...I'm sure I can make it home."

I stare and she stares and we have a staring contest for a couple of seconds. Finally, the woman lets out a deep breath.

"Alright." She starts, and I let out a sigh of relief. "But, I'm contacting your father saying that you'll be home, alright?"

"Y-Yes, thank you." I say, and walk out the door with my backpack swung over my shoulders.

As I walk, I think about Megan straddling Will's lap and shudder, but the thing is, the outcome that wasn’t supposed to be surprising...surprised me.

I don't know why I didn't try getting over him after the party. It was so obvious, that other people had started flaunting it in my face.

I was a fool.

Did I not like him as much as I thought I did?

There's a flash of seventh grade Will's smile, and I wince, pulling on my bangs.

No, I did. I liked him a lot.

...So what is this feeling?

I pass by the greenhouse, while walking. I pass by the greenhouse while walking, and stop to stare at it longingly.