Chapter Eight

The silence in the apartment was deafening. It felt like the space swallowed every unsaid word and whispered curse until it seemed like they were both drowning in their own emotions. Damian sat on the edge of the sofa, staring out the window and knowing that there was no turning back from this now. Everything was out in the open, and Raven knew the truth about him and what he really did in the middle of the night. As much as he wanted to keep her sheltered, and hide his secrets from her, there was no taking it back now. Raven knew the truth, and he was going to have to face that.

Raven's hand was warm against the side of his face, her touch soft as she healed a wound near his eye. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, her eyes meeting his stare.

"You felt it too."

The simplicity of her words practically burned him, and Damian let a small curse escape.

She was talking about what happened at the warehouse - that undeniable connection that seemed to swallow both of them whole. Of course he did. He felt her touch a part of him that was like a raw nerve. His body practically vibrated and he felt her draw power from him in a way he never expected. He had spent so many years mourning the loss of their previous bond, that he never considered there might be a way to create a new bond between them. And that was... that's what happened tonight. There was no other way to describe what this was.

He closed his eyes, uncertain of what he should say next.

"I'm still mad."

Damian opened his eyes and stared at her, watching dark shadows slide over her pale skin. He felt something indignant rise up into his chest, and forced it back into submission. This wasn't about him, at least not entirely. Raven had every right to be mad at him, he'd kept secrets from her and he shouldn't have. But, he had every right to be upset with her too, and he wasn't going to back down either.

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, his gaze narrowing at her. "You snuck out and didn't tell me where you were going. I walked out of my office and you were just... gone. What in the world was I supposed to think? I thought the worst had happened to you, Raven." He swallowed the bubble of rage building in his throat, his hands tightening into fists at his sides. "I thought you were kidnapped or killed. I thought Blood had finally gotten to you, and I felt..."

Helpless. He felt weak and helpless, and he didn't want to feel like that. Not with Raven.

Her head tilted to the side and she watched him for a long moment, looking at least a little remorseful. Shadows darkened her eyes again and she glanced away. "You were keeping me locked up here like I was a prisoner in your home, Damian. I wasn't useful to you, and I wasn't learning anything about what was happening to me. I can handle my own demons, and I think you forget that sometimes."

He opened his mouth to say something, but Raven silenced him with a glare.

"I know you were trying to keep me safe and protect me, but all it did was make me angry and push me away." She shifted. "I wanted you to be angry and to hate me, because then at least I would have had a reason to run."

Ow. Her words speared his heart and Damian glanced away, taking another slow breath. It felt like she had crushed his heart between her small hands, and he didn't know her words could hurt like that. Like they were weapons. Guilt filled him, and Damian let his head fall into his hands. "I never meant to hurt you, Raven."

"Well, you did. You didn't think I was going to be strong enough to keep myself safe, and you didn't trust me. Not just with your secret, because I can forgive you for not telling me. I know that's a huge burden to carry, and I know why you kept it from me. It's just..." She crossed her arms over her chest and looked away, chewing on her lower lip as she tried to sort through her own feelings. "I spent all this time thinking I was... the other woman."